SOURCE: New England Puritan, published Boston
TRANSCRIBER: Marilyn Labbe

THURSDAY, AUG. 31, 1854

The venerable Dr. Woods, of Andover, is no more. On the evening of Thursday last, the 24th inst., as the sun went down, his spirit passed peacefully away from the scenes of his earthly labors to his everlasting rest. His sickness which was an affection of the heart, was attended with much distress, from the first attack on the 8th ult., until within two or three days of his death, when he became comparatively free from pain and disquietude. Dr. Woods was born on the 19th of June, 1774. His native place was Princeton in this State. He graduated at Harvard College in 1796, with the highest honors of the College. He studied theology with Dr. Azel Backus, of Somers, CT, and ordained pastor of the Fourth Congregational Church in Newbury Dec. 5, 1798, where he continued until called to the new post of Professor of Christian Theology in the Seminary at Andover, Sept. 20, 1808. He continued to give instruction until 1846, when his active connection with the Seminary ceased.

An Ecclesiastical Council was convened at Spencer on Wednesday, Aug. 23d, for the purpose of installing Rev. Stephen G. Dodd, late of Milford, Ct., over that church and people.

Rev. Joel Huntington, of Waukesha, WI, departed this life at the residence of his brother, the Rev. Dr. Huntington of Albany, NY, on the 30th ult. His disease was cholera, followed by congestion of the brain.

Gold in Vermont. The Woodstock Age says that there is gold in Vermont; and says that for the last three or four weeks, from thirty to fifty workmen, under the direction of Capt. Ira F. Payson, of New York, have been engaged in digging into and examining the premises of Bridgewater, where gold has been discovered, and that the result thus far, has been satisfactory. The Age concludes by assuring the public that there is no humbug about the matter, and that the mines will prove among the richest ever discovered.

Five Persons Killed by Lightning. The Chicago Dem. Press states that about a mile from Pecatonica, on the 12th inst., the house of Mr. Marchant was struck by lightning, by which himself and four of his children, the eldest twelve years of age, were instantly killed. In consequence of the extreme heat of the weather, the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Marchant and five children, had left their beds and were sleeping on the kitchen floor. The fluid entered the kitchen by the stove pipe, passing down to the floor, whence it spread devastation and death among the unconscious sleepers. Only the mother and one child remain.

Death of a Veteran. The Albany Evening Journal states that Mr. Ebenezer Landon, on of the few survivors of that noble band of patriots, to whose gallantry and devotion we are indebted for the blessings of freedom, died at Sharon Springs, NY, on the 23d inst., in the 94th year of his age.
   Mr. Landon joined the Revolution Army in 1777, and at the conclusion of the war was one of seventeen who alone survived out of a full company. He had seen and conversed with Washington, and witnessed the execution of Andre. He died surrounded by his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, leaving more than 140 descendants.

An Extensive Peat Fire. The peat grounds in Wilmington, in the vicinity of the "17 mile post" on the Lowell Railroad, have been on fire for several days past and considerable damage has been done. From 800 to 1,000 acres have been burnt over, and at one time great fears were entertained that the fire would extend into the heavy timber lands surrounding, but this destruction will probably be diverted. Last Sunday, some 50 men from Boston, Somerville, &c., principally in the employ of the Railroad Company, went to the scene and assisted the people of the town in pretty effectually setting bounds to the fire, by throwing on gravel along the borders. On Monday, a large gang of men from Lowell and vicinity were similarly employed.

Great Fire at Waldoboro, ME. On the 25th Inst., about one o'clock a fire broke out in the rear of the hotel at Waldoboro, and swept away the whole of the village from Tibbetts; large furniture store at the northward, and as far eastward as the Baptist Church, which was saved; including every store in the village, and every building south and west to the river, extending to Capt. H. Rubin's on the south side. George A. Kennedy's new ship and Capt. James Cook's barge, both on the stocks, were destroyed, as also the timber for a new ship in Mr. J. Clark's yard. The Custom House, both banks and the Post Office were destroyed. The loss cannot now be approximately ascertained, but it is thought it must exceed $250,000.

Rare Instance of Long Continuance in Office. The Portsmouth, NH Journal states that Capt. John McClintoch, the renewal of whose commission as Collector at that port we chronicled a few days since, entered upon his ninety fourth year on Monday last, from which date his new commission runs for four year. He was born Aug. 28, 1761; his father was Rev. Dr. Samuel McClintoch of Greenland, NH, a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army, present at the Battle of Bunker Hill.

The Drought. From all parts of New England and the Middle States, says the Transcript of Friday the 25th inst., we have sad accounts of the drought which now so extensively prevails. Pastures are dried up, the corn and grain crop in many sections will be an entire failure; whole fields of Indian corn have been cut for fodder, as not an ear had set. Mills and factories are still for want of water to move the machinery. Fires are extensive in many districts, and thousands of acres of valuable woodlands have been laid waste by the devouring element. In Portland, ME, the beautiful elms, the ornament of the city and the pride of the citizens, are dying for want of nourishment. There is a great scarcity of water, and seventy-five cents is the price paid for a barrel of drinking water, and nearly all the soft water for washing has to be carted from the canal. In the whole White Mountain region, the streams are remarkably low, the roads dry, and the uplands bare of verdure. In parts of New York State the drought is equally severe, and the telegraph reports extensive and disastrous onflagrations in Ohio.

Fires in the Woods. The Petersborough Transcript states that in Stoddard, NH, several days since, two or three hundred acres of woodland belonging to the Stoddard Glass Company, were burned over by fire. While the fire was burning, Mr. Curtis Hunt attempted to drive a team, laden with store goods to the amount of $700, belonging to Mr. Fisk, of Marlow, through a road which passed by the woods. The flames were then some ten rods distant; but a strong gust of wind drove them so rapidly, that he was forced to quit the wagon and fly for his life,--saving only one of his three horses. The other horses, with the wagon and goods, were destroyed. Mr. Hunt himself barely escaped; his shirt being burnt from his back, and his face and hands blistered. The horse which he saved was badly burned.
   The Taunton Gazette of last week stated that a destructive fire in the Raynham woods was raging fiercely, and extending, notwithstanding the efforts of the farmers to arrest its progress. A tract of about 1,000 acres had been burnt over, and the lost of property was very large.
   The Albany Evening Journal states that many fires have been raging among the vast forests of Northern New York.
   We learn that the pine woods near London, Canada West, are on fire, and the inhabitants of the district are escaping for their lives. The smoke is so dense along the track of the Great Western Railroad at this point, and also at Chippewa Creek, that the trains will have to be temporarily discontinued.


In this city, Mr. Edwin BROWN, of St. Louis, MO, to Miss Frances A., third daughter of Mr. Newell H. MOULTON; 23d inst., Eben S. STEARNS, Esq., Principal of the State Normal School at Framingham, to Miss Ellen A., daughter of John KUHN, Esq., of this city; 24th inst., by Rev. Alfred L. BAURY, Dr. Samuel JACKSON, of the U. S. Navy, to Miss Kate H., daughter of the officiating clergyman.

In Reading, 15th inst., by Rev. Mr. WHITING, Mr. John A. CATTANACH, of South Reading , to Miss Jessie MOFFATT, of Scotland; 27th inst., Mr. Robert M. BOYCE, of Reading to Miss Betsy L. GALUCIA, of Salem.

In Beverly, 20th inst., by Rev. A. B. RICH, Mr. Charles A. DOWNING , to Miss Helen, daughter of Mr. Stephen W. WOODBURY.

In Concord, 1st inst., by Rev. L. H. ANGIER, Mr. Alonzo BURGESS to Miss Sarah E. WHEELER; 15th inst., Mr. Sereno D. HUNT, Principal of the Concord High School, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Capt. John STACY,--all of C.

In North Middleboro, 24th inst., by Rev. T. E. BLISS, Mr. Rowland BUNKER, of New Bedford, to Miss Sarah CLARK, of N. M.

In Southboro, 21st inst., by Rev. D. M. ELWOOD, Mr. Nathan CARTER, of S., to Miss Ladara SWEET, of Strong, ME.

In Nashua, NH, Prof. Frederick A. SAWYER, of South Reading, MA, to Miss Delia E., daughter of the late Ira GAY, Esq., of N.

In Somers, CT, 2d ult., by Rev. Dr. VAILL, Mr. Sharon W. CHAPIN, of Springfield, MA, to Miss Emily C. HANCOCK, of Suffield, CT; and at the same time, Mr. H. H. EVERTON, of Westfield, MA, to Miss Amanda LOOMIS, of the same place; 13th inst., Mr. Theodore F. MILLER, of Suffield, CT, to Miss Fanny BUGBY, of Somers.


In this city, 26th inst., Mrs. Rebecca NOYES, 67; 28th inst., John ODIN, Esq., 80; Mr. James WASHBURN, 80.

In Winthrop, 4th inst., Mr. David FLOYD, Sen. 87; 20 inst., of croup, Sally Lavina, only daughter of Mr. David and Mrs. Sally T. FLOYD, 3 yrs 2days

In Shirley, 4th inst., Mrs. Mary, wife of Mr. Eleazer ANDREWS, formerly of Wenham, 83.

In West Newton, 27th inst., at the residence of his son, Mr. Joshua HENSHAW, of Leicester, 75.

In Newton Centre, 27th inst., suddenly, Mr. Augustus H. TOMBS, 28.

In Westboro, 21st inst., Mrs. Susan B., widow of the late Rev. Charles FORBUSH, pastor of the Congregational Church in Northbridge, 51.

In Marblehead, 21st inst., Mrs. Martha, widow of the late Mr. Neil LEMON, 74.

In Stoughton, 21st inst., Mr. Abraham CAPEN, 80.

In East Abington, 22d inst., Philip A., youngest child of Rev. H. D. WALKER.

In Fitchburg, 26th inst., Ellen Sophia, daughter of Mr. Charles IDE, 12y9m28d

In Nantucket, 22d inst., Mr. Ichabod ALDRIDGE, 86.

In Barre, 17th inst., Seth WINSLOW, 90.

In Winchendon, 16th inst., Joseph Bassett, and on the 23 inst., Lucy J., only children of Rev. Joseph B. MITCHELL.

In Goshen, 18th inst., Mrs. Susan MOORE, 87.

In Kennebunkport, ME, 13th inst., Mrs. Sarah WILDES, 93.

In New Haven, CT, 17th inst., Dea. Jabez BACKUS, formerly of Bolton, 66; 18th inst., Lucy, daughter of Rev. Dr. Leonard BACON, 13.

In Somers, CT., Mr. Edwin S. PEASE, 22, a member of the Sophomore Class in Brown University. He was a young man of great promise, both as a scholar and a Christian.

Died, in Dunstable, 6th inst., Miss Sarah, daughter of Dea. Isaac Taylor, 39. This much lamented lady was about two months since, suddenly called to part with her mother, who had watched with maternal solicitude, by her side, during a long and distressing illness, of more than two years.

Died in Manchester, MA, 15th inst., Mrs. Sarah Allen, 87. For nearly fifty years Mrs. Allen had been a professed follower of Christ, and for more than half of that time a widow.

Died in Southboro, 13th inst., Mrs. Esther Fay, 79, widow. A paralytic shock, after a distressing sickness of ten days, removed her to that better land. Thus has death for the third time, within the short period of nine months, entered one house. Mrs. Edmund C. Flagg, daughter of Mrs. Fay, died in Nov. last, and Mr. Nathan Fay, who married another daughter, deceased in March.

Died in Kingston, 12th inst., at the house of Mrs. Amelia Russell, Mrs. Sarah Lewis, wife of Dea. George Russell, aged 50 years, a member of Park Street Church, Boston, while on a visit at Kingston. The funeral was attended on the Tuesday following her decease; buried in Evergreen Cemetery--a beautiful pine grove lately set apart as a "city of the dead". The first interment here was that of an Aunt of Mrs. R., who died in the same house just eight weeks before her. At the grave, some touching remarks were made by her brother-in-law, Rev. Joseph Peckham, Pastor of the Church in Kingston, of which she was formerly a member.

The parents of Mary Louisa Taylor, in behalf of their infant daughter, would acknowledge the kindness of "A Friend" in constituting her a Life Member of the American Tract Society, on the day she was dedicated to God in the sacred ordinance of Infant Baptism.
   Manchester, Aug. 28, 1854

THURSDAY, NOV. 26,1857

Rev. Dr. Tyler and his wife celebrated their golden wedding anniversary on Thursday, 19 Nov. 1857, at East Windsor Hill, CT.

Rev. Charles Greenwood, formerly of Plymouth, subsequently of North Chelsea, was ordained pastor of the Congregational Church in Westmoreland, NH, on Thursday, Nov. 5.

Mr. Charles E. Reed, a recent graduate at Andover Seminary, has received a unanimous call to become the pastor of the congregational church in Malden Centre.

Rev. Clarke Lockwood, of River Head, has received and accepted an invitation to become the pastor of the church in Northville, Long Island, NY.

Mr. Sumner arrived last week, in this city, on his return from a long European sojourn for the restoration of his health, which is said to be much improved, and in a fair way to be, ultimately, as good as before his injury.


In West Dedham, 19th inst., by Rev. E. S. LOCKE, John H. THORNDIKE, Esq., of Boston, to Miss Delia D. WHITE, daughter of the late Rev. John WHITE, of W. D.

In Warwick, RI, 18th inst., by Rev. George W. ADAMS, Mr. John GREENE to Miss Mary E. PIKE, both of W.


In Holden, 1st inst., of congestion of the lungs, Mrs. Silence C., wife of Mr. Thomas J. DAVIS, 63. 20th inst., of the same disease, Mr. Thomas J. DAVIS, 63.

In West Brookfield, 10th inst., Mrs. Hannah F., wife of Mr. Uriel SPOONER, 65.

In Enfield, 11th inst., Mrs. Eveline CROSBY, 53; 12th, Mr. Ansel CROSBY, 54; husband and wife.

In Havana, 5th inst., of yellow fever, Capt. Richard BARSTOW, Jr., of Mattapoisett, master of brig Sea Belle, of Newport, RI., in his 30th year.

Mrs. Charity Nichols. In Claremont, NH, on the 10th inst., at the residence of her son, E. L. Goddard, Esq., Mrs. Charity Goddard, relict of the late Nicholas Goddard, of Rutland, VT, 78. I

Golden Wedding. The celebration of the "golden wedding" of Col. James Brown and his wife, at Saxonville, on the 4th inst., was attended by about 150 of the children, grandchildren and other relatives of the venerable couple. Mr. Brown built his house in Saxonville (then Framingham) in 1807, and has lived in it ever since.

THURSDAY, APR. 29, 1858

Rev. George Colton died at Wethersfield, CT, Feb. 12, 1858, aged 79 years. He was born in West Hartford, and now has been carried back and buried in West Hartford. His father was Dea. Abijah Colton, who lived to be 85 years of age. His grandfather was Rev. Benjamin Colton, the first minister of West Hartford, who was ordained Feb. 24, 1713. His uncle was Rev. George Colton, minister of Bolton, CT, where he died about 80 years old. His own sons were three or four of them ministers. One of them, Rev. John Owen Colton, died a minister in New Haven, CT. One is now the pastor of the First Church in Wethersfield. Rev. George Colton was received into the Church on the 16th of Sept. 1799, during the ministry of Dr. Perkins, in West Hartford. He labored as a minister near Cherry Valley, NY many years--then in the Military Tract, at Camillus, Pompey, DeRuyter, &c,--then near Niagara Falls--after which he lived in Ware, MA, and in New Haven, CT, and finished his course suddenly at Wethersfield.
   His brother, Rev. Chester Colton, was a very good and acceptable minister; first at Brentwood, NH, then at Lyme, CT, then at Colebrook, CT, then at North Bend, OH, where he died at the age of about sixty.

Rev. Thomas O. Rice was installed pastor of the Congregational Church in Brighton, on the 6th inst. Mr. Rice was formerly settled, and labored with success, eleven years at West Killingly, CT.

Rev. Mr. Wight of Scituate, requested a dismissal from his pastoral charge in that place because of the feeble health of his wife.

The dissolution of the pastoral relation between Rev. Nelson Clark, and Evangelical Congregational Church in Quincy was recommended on the 21st of Apr.


In Winchendon, 23d ult., by Rev. B. F. CLARKE, Mr. William P. SCOTT to Miss Alzina C. PRENTISS, both of W.; 20th inst., Mr. John M. POOR, of Winchendon, to Mrs. Catherine A. K. BALL, of Templeton.

In Falmouth, 22d inst., by Rev. William BATES, Mr. Benjamin SWIFT, of Plymouth, to Miss Henrietta F. ROBINSON, of F.

In Westford, 25th inst., by Rev. L. LUCE, Mr. Thomas DREW, of Westford, to Miss Sarah E. McKennel WILSON, of Lexington.

In New Ipswich, NH, 10th inst., by Rev. E. DIBELL, Mr. Chas. H. GOULDING, of Millbury, MA, to Miss Josephine A. PRICHARD, of N. I.


In Lynnfield Centre, 17th inst., Albert Clark, son of Rev. E. R. HODGMAN, 1y21d.

In South Weymouth, 5th inst., Henry A. TORREY, Esq., 43.

Died at his residence in Newport, RI, 17th inst., Mr. Nathan B. HAMMETT, at the advanced age of seventy nine years.

Rev. C. Chamberlain, having removed from Ashford, CT, to Eastford, requests all letters and papers designed for him to be directed to the latter place.

The Boston Recorder, Boston, Thursday, Aug. 26, 1858

Rev. Francis V. Tenney, late of Byfield, was installed at Manchester, Aug. 18th, as pastor of the Orthodox Congregational Church.

Rev. Irem W. Smith was ordained and settled over the South Congregational Church of Durham, CT on the 18th inst. Dr. Smith is now in his ninety-first year, but shows more energy of body and strength of mind, than many ministers who have not arrived at the age of threescore years and ten.

The Winnisimmet Church in Chelsea have voted unanimously to invite Mr. Albert H. Plumb (a graduate of the last class at Andover) to become their pastor.

We learn that Rev. Samuel Gould, of Biddeford, ME., has accepted a call from a Congregational Church in Owego, NY.

The Congregational Church and Society in Putney, VT, have given a unanimous call to the Rev. Henry M. Grout of Marlboro, to become their pastor.

Rev. William T. Herrick has been dismissed from the Congregational Church in Candia, VT.

Rev. Cyrus Brewster was to be settled over the Congregational Church in Haydenville, on Wed., the 11th inst.

Extraordinary Poisoning Case. A few days since the authorities of the town of Smithfield, RI, exhumed the body of Edward Studley, a man 79 years of age, (who died on the 10th of June last) for the purpose of ascertaining the cause of his death, which occurred very suddenly, and without sufficient apparent cause. The stomach was found preserved, and two chemists, having inspected it, report the presence of large quantities of arsenic. Mr. Studley was not a man of property, and his wife was as old as himself; yet the whispers of rumor point to her as most probably the author of the crime. A Coroner's jury spent three days last week endeavoring to arrive at some solution of the important question involved in the case, but did not reach a decision, or conclude their investigations. Some twenty witnesses were examined, without eliciting anything that would explain how the arsenic came in Mr. Studley's stomach. Mrs. Studley, the widow of the deceased, stated in her evidence on Thursday, that she had never had arsenic in her house, but on Friday she corrected this statement, by saying, "that she purchased six cents' worth of arsenic last fall, in Pawtucket, of Dr. Davis, for the purpose of killing rats--about a teaspoonful of it--which was all used at that time.
   The Providence Journal remarks, "Mr. and Mrs. Studley were married in March last, he being a widower, and she the widow of William W. Jones, who died suddenly in Valley Falls, some six or seven years ago. She stated in her evidence that she was sixty-five years of age; and no testimony has as yet been adduced to show that they did not live pleasantly together since their marriage. Neither has that very essential point in the perpetration of all premeditated murders--motive--been developed as an incentive to the commission of so grave a crime.

Drowned. Lewis Drury, a son of Mr. Elbridge Drury, of Wendell, aged fourteen years, was drowned in a mill-pond at North Leverett, on Sabbath morning, August 8th. He probably went into the water to bathe, as his clothes were found upon the margin of the pond. He had not been missed till his clothes were found the next morning, it having been supposed he had gone to visit a friend.

Dr. Wayland and the other Inspectors of the County Jail in Providence, have just secured the discharge of a colored convict 100 years old, by paying off a debt of $5.70, for which he was committed last fall.

Peter Williams, under sentence of death at Auburn, ME, with a colored man named Abraham Cox, for the murder at sea of the captain, two mates and one man of the brig Albion Cooper, or Portland, has made a confession, admitting that himself and Cox committed the murders they were charged with.

One of the toy balloons, of which there have been so many seen within a few weeks, being held over a stove to dry, by a boy in Worcester, a few days ago, exploded with a tremendous report, shaking the whole house and greatly alarming the inmates and neighbors. The father of the boy was prostrated to the floor by the shock, and nearly stunned.


In Braintree, 19th inst., by Rev. J. PERKINS, Mr. Alfred TAYLOR to Miss Harriet WEAVER, both of B.

In Phillipston, 24th ult., by Rev. S. W. BARNUM, Mr. Amos S. LAMB, of Phillipston, to Miss Dolly R. BROWN, of Athol; 10th inst., Mr. Hiram POLLEY, of Westminster, to Miss Lucy WHITNEY, of Phillipston.

In Wendell, 15th inst., by Rev. A. JENKINS, Mr. Edwin PUTNAM, of Wendell, to Miss Diana E. TITUS, of Northfield.

In East Bridgewater, 11th inst., by Rev. B. SANFORD, Mr. Joseph H. COOK, to Miss Nancy A. REED, all of East Bridge-water.

In Worcester, 19th inst., by Rev. M. COGSWELL, or Yarmouth, assisted by Rev. E. E. HALE, of Boston, John B. D. COGSWELL, Esq., of Milwaukee, WI, to Miss Mary A., daughter of George A. TRUMBULL, Esq., of W.

In Chatham, Mr. Alpheus F. ELDRIDGE to Miss Anna G., daughter of Capt. William HOWES, both of C.

In Pittsfield, 7th inst., Mr. Franklin F. REED to Miss Martha C. BUTLER, both of P.

In Bradford, NH, 14th inst., by Rev. S. S. ABBOTT, Mr. Ephraim CROCKETT, Jr., of Somerville, MA, to Miss Sarah D. CARTER, of Concord, NH.

In Sandwich, NH, by Rev. L. B. TASKER, Mr. Levi W. STANTON, Principal of Brown High School, Newburyport, to Miss Anna T. BURLEIGH, of S.

In Portland, ME, 18th inst., by Rev. Horatio STEBBINS, Mr. Zadoc LONG, Jr., of Boston, to Miss Ruth A. B. STROUT, of P.

In Castine, ME, 19th inst., by Rev. L. D. WARDWELL, Mr. Wm. H. P. HOWARD, of Newburyport, MA, to Miss Mary C. MOORE, of Castine.


In the city, 17th inst., Mrs. Ellen WATSON, wife of the late Mr. William WATSON, formerly of Vienna, ME; 20th inst., Mrs. Martha A., wife of Mr. Samuel H. GOOKIN, formerly of Portsmouth, NH.

In Chelsea, 17th inst., Clara Frances, daughter of Capt. John W. and Ruth AREY, 5y1m

In Weymouth, 3d inst., Mrs. Jane, wife of Mr. Zichri NASH, 63.

In South Scituate, Edward Russell, son of John F. and Ellen M. OTIS, 1y3m17d

In Amherst, 18th inst., Mrs. H. B. FISHER, wife of Rev. G. E. FISHER, 39.

In Pittsfield, 7th inst., Mrs. Betsey COLLINS, 81

In Bedford, 20th inst., Mr. Joseph BROWN, 76.

In Bangor, ME, 19th inst., Mrs. Clark B. WARNER, of Lowell, MA, 26.

In Buckfield, ME, 4th inst., Mrs. Kesiah H. WATERMAN, 86y10m.

In Lawrence, K. T*., 10th inst., after a short illness, at the residence of Mr. Samuel SMITH, Miss Mary Jane KNOWLES, late of Dorchester, MA. (*Kansas Territory)

A Lost Daughter Found. The Bucyrus Journal says that a man living there, lost his wife some years ago, in Homer, NY; that they had a little girl which he gave to a friend and left the country. He was gone ten years, and returned, but could find no trace of his child. She had two marks by which he might know her--one toe was gone, and she had a scar on her arm.
   The man gave her up as lost to him, and finally settled near Bucyrus and married. The rest we give from that paper:--
   About six weeks ago he happened to pass by the room in his house occupied by a servant girl, who had resided with him for nearly two years, at a time when she was about to retire, and the door being open, he saw her foot. He merely glanced at it, and happened to notice that the little toe of the right foot was missing. He thought nothing of it at the time, but after retiring, the idea struck him that it might be the daughter he had searched for so long. At first he dismissed the thought as impossable, but it still forced himself upon him, until finally he requested his wife to go to the room and ascertain whether or not marks of a scald were upon right arm.
   She went, and to his immense delight reported that the mark was there. The poor man was so positive of her identity that the girl was awakened, and in the middle of the night was questioned as to her origin. She could only tell them that she did not know her parents, that her earliest recollections were that she had lived somewhere in the East with a family name ___, (naming the family she had been left with by the woman originally entrusted with her) and at their death she was taken charge of by the overseers of the poor, a place provided for her, and she had come to Bucyrus with a family, and had supported herself by doing house-work since. This tallied so nearly with the already ascertained facts in the case, that the next day the father started East with her, and visiting the different points she had named, ascertained to his great joy, that she was in truth his daughter. She is an extremely beautiful girl, of great natural intelligence, and though totally uneducated, is still interesting. She is now at Granville, OH, receiving an education to fit her for the new station she has assumed in life.

THURSDAY, FEB. 20, 1862

Joshua Noble Danforth, who died Nov. 14, 1861, in New Castle, Delaware, will not soon be forgotten in the American churches. Mr. Danforth was the eldest son of the Hon. Joshua Danforth, of Pittsfield, MA. Mr. Danforth was a colonel in the Revolutionary army, and held the distinguished and responsible position of Aid to General Washington. At the close of the war of Independence, he settled in Pittsfield, and was united in marriage with a daughter of Hon. David Noble, of Williamstown, a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of the State of Massachusetts.

Mrs. Louisa Payson Hopkins, wife of Professor Albert Hopkins, died at Williamstown, MA, on Friday evening, Jan. 24th at the age of 50. Mrs. Hopkins was the eldest daughter of the late Dr. Payson, of Portland, ME.
   She was married to Professor Hopkins in 1841, and now leaves him and one son (a member of College) to mourn her departure.

Hon. William Appleton, of this city, died on Saturday morning. He had long been ill, but until the last week he attended to his business as usual, although some of his recent transactions related to his decease, and showed that he felt that his end was near. He was a native of Brookfield, where he was born in Nov. 1796. He was for some time a member of Congress from this State, which office he resigned last autumn on account of ill health. (my note--Brookfield, MA Vital Records--William Appleton, born 16 Nov. 1786 son of Rev. Joseph and Mary)

It is with deep sorrow that we record the death of Hon. Luther V. Bell, of Somerville. He was, at the time of his decease, Surgeon to Gen. Hooker's Division, on the lower Potomac. His body was brought home, and the funeral services took place on Monday last, at Charlestown. Dr. Bell had long been in feeble health, and died, as we learn, from pulmonary disease. He was about 56 years of age.

The Orthodox Congregational Church, in Plymouth, has given a call to Rev. P. C. Headley to become their pastor.

Rev. Willard Jones, of Northfield, died 24 Nov. 1861

Rev. Henry M. Bridge, formerly of Warwick, and more recently of Colebrook, NH, died 23 Dec. 1861.

Mr. Benj. W. Pond, a graduate of Bowdoin College in 1857, and of Bangor Theological Seminary in 1861, was ordained to the pastorate of the Congregational Church in Barton, VT, on the 28th of Jan.

On Wednesday, Feb. 5, Rev. Samuel Wolcott, late of Chicago, was installed pastor of the Plymouth Church in Cleveland, OH, formerly under the charge of Rev. J. C. White of Providence.

The North Bridgewater Gazette says that Rev. C. J. Mills has resigned the pastorate of the Porter Church, owing to ill health. Rev. A. C. Childs is expecting to close his labors with the church in Rehoboth on the last of March.

Messrs. George H. Morss, and William E. B. Moore, were licensed to preach the Gospel by the Andover Association, at Lowell, on the 11th inst......... John Street church, Lowell, have given Rev. Mr. Green, of Brighton, an invitation to become their pastor.


In this city, 11th inst.,by the Rev. Alexander BLAIKIE, Mr. John McGREGOR to Mrs. Esther DUNCAN.

In Hardwick, 6th inst., by Rev. M. TUPPER, Mr. George Woods, of New Braintree, to Miss E. Augusta FAY.

In West Springfield, 11th inst., by Rev. E. FOSTER, Mr. Charles A. ASHLEY, to Miss Sarah M., daughter of Mr. Daniel ASHBY.

In Barre, VT, 12th inst., by Rev. E. Irvin CARPENTER, Rev. Austin HAZEN, of Norwich, to Miss Mary J. CARLETON, of Barre.


In this city, 30th ult., Mrs. Elizabeth LYON, 77y9m

In Greenfield, 30th ult., Mrs. Harriet T., wife of Hon. George T. DAVIS, 51; 8th inst., Mr. Apollos ROOT, 74.

In Holliston, 5th inst., Mr. Edwin F., son of Mr. Calvin ROCKWOOD, 26.

In Monson, 10th inst., Mr. Warren FULLER, 52.

In Northbridge Centre, 5th inst., after a protracted illness, Mr. Lyman TAFT, son of the late Mr. Marvil TAFT, of Northbridge, 65.

In Warren, 7th inst., Mr. Horace STEBBINS, 48.

In Hawley, 6th inst., Rhoda SCOTT, 75.

In Longmeadow, 11th inst., Mr. Sabin BURT, 74.

In Brookfield, 4th inst.,Mrs. Azubah WALKER, 90.

In Tyngsboro, of cancer, Mr. William MADENNA, formerly of Chelmsford, MA, 73.

In Paxton, 6th inst., Rev. Gaius CONANT, 85y5m.

In Haverhill, Mr. Daniel FRENCH, 37y9m; 8th inst., Mrs. Triphena WIGHTMAN, 74y, 15m; 10th inst., Mr. Thomas HARDING, Jr., 35y 8d

In Groveland, Mr. Charles PEABODY, a worthy citizen, 67; Mr. Daniel T. WIGGINS, 23.

In Scarboro, ME., 7th inst., Rev. John Barrett SOUTHGATE, 28.

In Sidney Centre, NY, Dec. 30, 1861, in the calmness of a Christian hope, Mr. William H. MANWARING, 47.

In Grinnell, IA, 30th ult., Mrs. Lucy FORD, late widow of Mr. Seth FORD, formerly of Plainfield, MA, 80.

The Temperance Advocate, Providence, May 21, 1853

Our village was the scene of quite an excitement on Tuesday last, on account of a report that a man, by the name of Thomas Towers, who resided a mile or two north of the village, had been drowned in the Canal. He was last seen at the meat market on Monday evening, where he purchased a piece of meat, being considerably intoxicated. The next morning, a bag with the meat and other articles which he was known to have had with him, were found on the bank of the Canal, between our office and the railroad bridge, and the ground appeared newly trodden up, as if some person had staggered around and then slipped into the water. The Canal was searched during the day, unsuccessfully. Toward evening, the water was drawn off; but the body was not found. If he fell into the Canal, probably the current would have carried him over the dam and down the river. He may have taken it into his head to leave for parts unknown. He leaves a wife and a number of small children.--Westerly Echo, 12th.

An exchange paper states that about 19 years ago, a Mr. Hait, of Wilton, in Fairfield county, CT, then a remarkable good student in his collegiate course, was suddenly deprived of his reason and memory. Recently, in fulfillment of prophecy by Dr. Chaplain, of Cambridge, MA, he recovered the full use of his mind, and inquired for his books; but the whole nineteen years was to him a blank. The prophecy was founded upon the opinion that the brain was too much expanded for the cranium and that at about the age of thirty-six, a contraction would take place.

Terrible Disaster at Sea--Nearly 200 Lives Lost.
   The following account of the loss of the ship William and Mary, accompanied with a terrible sacrifice of human life, we copy from the New York Tribune.
   The ship William and Mary (of Bath, ME) Capt. Stetson, sailed from Liverpool on the 24th March, with 208 passengers, bound to New Orleans, was totally lost on the morning of the 3d inst., the Great Isaacs bearing E. S. E., together with 202 of the passengers. Capt. Stetson, the mate, second mate, and six of the crew, were picked up on the 3d inst.,in latitude 27 30, longitude 79 20, by the brig Reuben Carver, from Sagua la Grand, which arrived at this port this afternoon.
   Capt. Stetson gives the following particulars of the disaster.
   At 7 A.M. 3d May, strong breezes from S. E. and cloudy, passed the Hole-in-the-Wall at 12 Mer. Stirrup Key bore South 10 miles distant after which the weather became thicker and wind increased, with heavy sea. At sunset saw nothing of the Keys, supposed we were well to northward, after steering W. by N. from 12 Mer.
   At 8 P.M. judging ourselves to be Northward and Westward, of Great Isaacs, kept the ship W. by S., and commenced heaving the lead. At 8 found no bottom in 20 fathoms; at 8.1e the same; at 8:30 struck on a sunken rock and hung about midships, with 10 fathoms water all round.
   After grounding heavily about 15 minutes, she went off and struck on another rock, within a few rods of the first, when she pounded a few times and went off. We then let got the anchors, and commenced getting out the boats--the passengers at the pumps but could not keep her free.
   At midnight, found 4 feet water in the hold. At 4 A.M. weather black and squally, with a heavy sea, 8 feet water in the hold, both pumps going; 7 A.M., 10 feet water, and the ship going down, mates and crew in the boats, together with as many passengers as could be stowed in the long boat and lifeboat, the other two boats having been stoven after launching; at 8 A.M. left her and in a few minutes she went down, the Great Isaacs bearing E. S. E., 7 miles distant. After leaving the ship some hours, saw a bark apparently bound to Europe; hove to in the direction of the long boat and life boat, and supposed she was engaged in picking them up.
   The W. and M. left Liverpool with 208 passengers, including their cook and steward, who nearly all went down in the vessel, together with two of the seamen and the ship's steward, names unknown.

Several Persons Injured.--On Friday last, in Townsend, MA, (East Village) another accident occurred by which twenty-six men came near losing their lives, all through the carelessness of workmen in erecting a staging.
   The facts are as follows: Between thirty and forty men were engaged in erecting the frame of a new Unitarian Church. Upon the upper beams were laid a few slender boards, unsupported in the centre. Upon these was erected a heavy staging on which was placed all the sharp-edged tools required by the workmen, twenty-six in number, all of whome took their postions upon it, and were in the act of raising some of the upper frame work, when the slender foundation of the staging gave way, and the men, staging, axes, adzes, chisels, hammers, heavy lumber, and all, were carried down together, a distance of twenty-five feet, to the ground.
   Twelve of the men were taken out senseless. Mr. Joseph Kilburn had his ankle bone fractured. Mr. Calvin Sanderson, of Lunenburg, had one of his ribs broken. Mr. __ Lane, of Lunenburg, was severely bruised. A Mr. Adams, of Townsend, was nearly scalped, and Mr. John Hart, one of the contractors, had a foot very severely jammed. Others were more of less injured. It is indeed surprising that none were killed.--Boston Post.

An unknown man was found drowned in the Seekonk River, near the Red bridge, last Sunday. He had a bottle in his pocket, which had probably contained the cause of his death. Rum kills more men, one by one, in this way, in a single month, than are killed by railroad and steamboat engineers in a whole year.

A Pitiful Sight.--Our attention was called yesterday afternoon to two children, a boy and girl, and aged respectively about 11 and 7 years, who had been found by officer Shaw, between 3 and 4 o'clock P. M., near the Worcester freight depot, and taken to the watch house. They were in such a prostrate state of inebriation, as to require the attendence of a physician, and unceasing exertions upon the part of several persons, more than an hour, to keep life in them. They proved to be children of Mr. McCormick, residing on Back street, named Francis and Sarah. When the officer approached them he saw a much larger boy running away, and it is supposed he had induced them to drink the liquor, which came very near causing their death.--Post of Thursday.


In this city, 3d inst., by Rev. Mr. BROWN, Daniel S. CONGDON, of Cranston, and Miss Mary ANTHONY, of Coventry.

12th inst., by Rev. Mr. SHURTLEFF, Mr. James S. MACOMBER and Miss Elizabeth I. PECK.

16th inst., by the Rev. Dr. HEDGE, Mr. Warren SHATTUCK and Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Peleg W. GARDINER.

17th inst., by the Rev. Daniel HENSHAW, Mr. William H. BABCOCK, of Brooklyn, NY, and Penelope B., second daughter of the late George ANDREWS, of this city.

In Newport, 18th inst., Capt. Gilbert WOOLSEY, and Miss Sophia A. POTTER, both of Jersey City.


In this city, on Sunday evening, 16th inst., Virginia, only child of John A. and Penelope LITTLEFIELD, aged 6y8m23d

In this city, 16th inst., Laura Olivia, daughter of Horace and Arvilla H. FRENCH, aged 2y1m20d

In this city, 15th inst., Ann Eliza T. BROWN, daughter of James E. and Mary E. BROWN, aged 9m4d

In East Greenwich, on the 14th inst., Col. David INNIGER, in the 80th yr of his age.

In Newport, 2d inst., Miss Caroline Matilda, daughter of Mr. William WILBOUR, aged 16 years.

In Barrington, 9th inst., Mr. Horace EASTERBROOKS, of Bristol, in the 26th yr of his age.

In Pawtucket, 17th inst., Mr. Adams PARK, aged 58y

In Newport, 14th inst., Mr. Isaac CODDINGTON, aged 63y

In Middletown, 15th inst, Mr. Benjamin ALLEN, aged 31y

On board steamship James Adg2, 20 hours out from Charleston to New York, Mr. Dyer C. POTTER, in the 22d year of his age. Funeral this afternoon at 3 o'clock from his father's residence on High St.