SOURCE: New England Puritan, published Boston
TRANSCRIBER: Marilyn Labbe


Mrs. Fanny G. Atwater
   Died, at Newtown, CT, Apr. 30th, Mrs. Fanny G., wife of Rev. Jason Atwater, aged 48. Mrs. Atwater was born in Chelmsford, MA. (long obit but nothing on family)

An Ecclesiastical Council was convened May 3, 1854, at the church in Thorndike Village (Palmer), to consider the expediency of dissolving the pastoral relation of Rev. S. Hine, to the First Congregational Church and Society in Palmer.

Rev. L. Ives Hoadley, was installed pastor of the church in Auburn, on Wed. the 17th ult.

On Thursday, the 25th ult., Mr. George Augustus Perkins, an accepted Missionary of the A. B. C. F. M., and destined to the Armenians in Western Asia, was solemnly ordained and set apart to this important work in this place.

Rev. Elam Smalley, D.D., of Worcester, MA, has received and accepted a call to the Second Presbyterian Church, Troy, NY, and was to have commenced his labors on the 21st ult.

Another Fugitave Slave Arrest in Boston

   The second arrest made under the celebrated "Fugitive Slave Law," in this city, was made on Wednesday evening of last week. About 8 o'clock, as a colored man, named Anthony Burns, was walking in Court Street, near the Court House, he was taken into custody by officers Coolidge, Riley and Laighton, acting under the orders of Watson Freeman, United States Marshal, and the virtue of a warrant issued by United States Commissioner, Edward G. Loring.
   The prisoner submitted to his arrest without any resistance, and was forthwith escorted to quarters in the Court House, where he was put under a strong guard of officers for the night. The arrest was so quietly and speedily performed that but very few persons, except the officers drafted in readiness for the occasion, were aware of the proceedings, and thus there was no excitement created, and none of the morning papers "had the news."
   The next morning, the prisoner was arraigned before Commissioner Loring, in the United States Court Room, upon a complaint alleging that he "owed service and labor" to Colonel Charles F. Suttle, a merchant of Alexandria, VA, having clandestinely escaped therefrom on the 24th of March last, when he left Virginia for Massachusetts. Messrs. Seth J. Thomas and Edward G. Parker appeared as counsel for the claimant, and Messrs. Richard H. Dana, Jr. and Charles M. Ellis volunteered for the prisoner. Sundry legal papers tending to establish the claim were exhibited to the Court, and in addition, William Brent, a merchant of Richmond, testified to the ownership of Col. Suttle, and identified the prisoner as the human "chattel."
   The defendant's counsel asked a suspension of proceedings, to give time for consultation with the prisoner and make the necessary preparations on his behalf.
   The Commissioner than called the prisoner to his side and conversed with him, and learning from his own lips that he wished for a delay in order to see what course he should pursue, the Court ordered the examination to stand adjourned till Saturnday morning, at 10 o'clock.
   In the meantime the defendant was committed to the custody of the Marshal. During the proceedings the Court Room was only about half filled with people, a large proportion of whome were officers summoned to attend. Col. Suttle was present, and also Theodore Parker, Wendell Phillips and some other abolitionists.
   A meeting was called, and held in Faneuil Hall on Friday evening, which was numerously attended by an excited populace, in which speeches of the most inflammatory character were made by Wendell Phillips, Theodore Parker, and F. W. Bird, of Walpole, and Resolutions were passed.

Attempt to Rescue the Fugitive Slave

   Soon after dark on Friday evening, a crowd began to assemble in and about the Court Square. The announcement to the meeting at Faneuil Hall that an attempt was being made, soon greatly increased the crowd. Upon the cry of "Rescue him," :Rescue him;" the officers immediately closed the doors of the Court House. An attack was first made upon the Eastern door, but the crowd upon hearing a pistol upon the Western side, rushed round there, where in a short time at least a thousand persons were collected. An attack upon the door was commenced with axes and a battering ram, the latter being a stout beam, manned by about a dozen persons, who propelled it against the door with great violence, stones were also thrown against the windows. At each stroke of the battering ram, cries were raised of "Rescue him," "Bring him out," &c, &c. Finally for door yielded. At this point the Court House bell was run by the officers on the inside for aid from the authorities. This was about half-past nine o'clock.
   As the door gave way, several persons attempted to enter the building, but were met by the officers upon the inside, and a brief contest ensued.
   Of what afterwards happened there are contradictory accounts. One statement is that all the shots fired (some thirty or more) were from the crowd, and that the United States Marshal and his officers did not use fire arms.
   The Courier says:--
   During this struggle some thirty shots were fired by the rioters, and Mr. James Batchelder, a special officer, who was resisting the entrance of assilants, at the shattered door, was shot dead. The weapon discharged at him must have been a blunderbuss, as its contents embraced many bullets, some of them of a very large size. His bowels were literally torn out, and he died almost instantly. He was a truckman in the employ of Mr. Peter Dunbar, and leaves a wife and one child.
   The Marshal's officers did not use their fire arms, and succeeded finally in expelling the rioters from the doors with their clubs only. During this scene, the Judges of the Supreme Court, the Attorney General of the Commonwealth, and the Sherriff of Suffolk were in the building, awaiting the return of the jury in the Wilson case, who were to come in at 11 o'clock. Some members of the jury, who put their heads out of the window to see what was going on, were fired at, and the balls, in one or two instances, struck quite near them. The windows of the Justice's court were completely riddled by bullets discharged from without.
   Marshal Freeman had a very narrow escape, a ball having struck the wall quite near him, while he was leading his men up to repulse the individuals who had broken in. His son, who was present, ran into the crowd, crying, "Father, you will be shot," and he was quite close to Batchelder when he fell.
   The Commonwealth, however, makes this statement:
   The keepers of the fugitive fired upon the crowd, and otherwise assailed those at the door. No shots were fired from outside; but one man inside was killed by a pistol ball, which seems to have been fired by one of his companions, who handled his pistol carelessly. None of the shots fired at the people took effect; but some of those at the door were injured by the sabres of the Marshal's helpers. Brickbats and stones were thrown from the crowd, injuring the widows.
   By order of the Chief of Police, a portion of the officers under his command were marched to the scene of disorder to preserve the peace of this city, and nine persons were arrested.
   The Traveller of Saturday evening says:
   Of the occurrences last night, we learn that Mr. Batchelder, when killed, was standing near the door which was battered down. He attempted to stem the tide from without when he was stabbed and shot. There is a wound on his head, and also several wounds in his abdomen, one probably by a knife and the other by a pistol, which a person this morning comes forward and testifies was fired from the crowd. There was a great flow of blood from wounds in the abdomen.
   Several balls were found this morning embeded in the ceiling of the entry-way where the attack was made.
   Mr. Batchelder, who was killed, resided on Front St., Charlestown. His wife knew nothing of his death until the next morning, when the announcement was made to her by a lady, who saw the account of the occurrence in the morning papers. She chanced to be in the front yard, and immediately fainted, and was taken into the house.
   The Evening Gazette states that a post mortem examination of the body of Mr. Batchelder was held on Saturday, and it was ascertained that he was not shot, but stabbed, the wound being six inches deep. It is stated above that when he was wounded, he exclaimed, "I am stabbed."
   While William C. Fay, Esq., was conversing with another person on Saturday, his remarks excited the ire of a stout negro named Wilson Hopewell, who struck Mr. Fay. Officers William B. Tarleton and Cook, who had been watching his movements, immediately arrested him, when a violent struggle ensued. Wilson drew a dirk knife, but the officers wrested it from him, and succeeded in conveying him to the Centre Watch House and subsequently to jail. He siezed Mr. Tarleton by the throat, and did not release his grasp till he reached the Watch House. The dirk knife was partially covered with blood, and it is thought it may have been the instrument used in stabbing Batchelder. It is alleged that the prisoner was in the thickest of the melee on Friday night, and fled immediately after the murder was committed.
   The fugitive was again brought into Court on Saturday, and a further postponement of the examination was asked and granted, till Monday at 11 o'clock A.M.
   It was understood on Saturday evening, says the Daily Advertiser, that the fugitive might be purchased for twelve hundred dollars, and that sum was readily subscribed for the purpose. It was expected that the necessary papers might be drawn up that night, and the object thus immediately effected; but while the gentlemen engaged in this philanthropic proceeding were maturing the papers, the hour of twelve o'clock arrived, and they were obliged to cease, as no proceedings had upon Sunday, would have binding legal force. Proceedings will be resumed at an early hour this (Monday) morning, and we confidently trust that by the time our subscribers read this paragraph, or very shortly afterwards, Burns will be free,--by the philanthropic liberality of enlightened citizens, and not by the violence of the indiscreet. The money is all ready, in gold.
   Two incidents connected with the subscription are worth mentioning:--On Saturday evening, eight hundred dollars had been subscribed; it was thought important that the remainder should be obtained at once, in the hope of consummating the measure that evening. One of our liberal merchants whose benevolence is practical and unostentatious, although he had already subscribed $100, immediately advanced the requisite $400, and completed the subscription. That is one incident. The other is this: We are informed that during the day on Saturday, Rev. Theodore Parker was asked if he wished to put his name to the subscription paper. His reply was, "I have nothing to subscribe but brains and bullets."
   The arrangements for the negotiation were not carred out, until the proceeding had advanced so far, that Col. Suttle declined any overtures which might be made previously to the establishment of his claim before the Commissioner. The papers have reported that he received a dispatch from his place of residence in Virginia, instructing him not to sell the fugitive for any sum whatever; and informing him, if he did, his life would not be safe on returning to his home.
   The hearing was resumed and continued on Monday and Tuesday. We have not space to give the details of the proceedings. The defence introduced two witnesses, who swore, one that Burns was in this city March 1st, and the other that he was here in the beginning of March. The allegations of the claimant was, that he escaped on the 24th of March.
   The popular excitement without, especially in the vicinity of the Court House, continued unabated; but there was no violence. The arrangements for the preservation of order by the municipal and United States authorities were so well perfected, that it was sufficiently obvious that no riotous demonstratiosn could result in any practical benefit. A few temporary arrests of excited individuals were made.
   A difficulty was experienced in finding food for the soldiers. The eating houses in the Square were thronged with visitors, and Mr. J. B. Smith's colored waiters refused to prepare food for the military.
   A proposal was made in the Board of Aldermen on Monday, to eject the United States authorities from the Court House. The Aldermen were divided upon the question. The Mayor, by a casting vote, very judiciously arrested a step which could only have resulted in evil. The Traveller, after giving this statement, says:--"At a proper time we should be glad to see the United States Court removed from the County Court House, especially if it is to be converted into a slave prison, or employed for purposes which virtually conflict with our local laws, and are offensive to our ideas of justice."
   The Murder Rioters brought into the Police Court. John C. Cluer, Albert G. Brown, Jr., John J. Roberts, Henry Howe, Martin Stowell, Walter Finney, John Morrison, Thomas Jackson, Walter Bishop, John Wesley, and John Thompson, the eleven rioters who are charged with the murder of James Batchelder, on Friday evening last, were brought before the Police Court, Tuesday forenoon. George P. Sanger, District Attorney, appeared for Government; and G. F. Farley, C. G. Davis, J. A. Andrew, M. H. Smith and Robert Morris for the defence. After considerable discussion the case was postponed to Friday.
   A Petition for the Repeal of the Fugitive Slave Law, placed at the Merchants' Exchange, has received two or three hundred signatures. Among them are those of J. H. Pearson, P. & J. P. Hawes, Nathaniel Snow, Charles Torrey, T. B. Mackay, James Villa & Co., Alpheus Hardy, J. R. Welch, J. Ingersoll Bowditch, J. M. Forbes, and many other merchants and business men.
   The Bee of Wednesday morning says:--
   The prospect at present is, that the Burns Fugitive Slave Case will break down, on account of an error in the Virginia Court Record. The document alleges Burns to have escaped on the 24th of March. Tuesday afternoon it was proved that he was in Boston on the first week in March. Behind the date of the 24th, the process cannot extend. The best lawyers in the city are of the opinion, under these circumstances, that the case for the claimants must fail. In this event Burns will probably be set at liberty today.
   We also learn that the cousel for the claimant, will endeavor to have the case postponed, in order to obtain further evidence from Virginia. The present aspect of the affair was not anticipated by either side, when the examination commenced. So far as we can judge the public mind, there is a hope, at least, that the case may break.


In North Abington, 24th ult., by Rev. Isaac C. WHITE, Mr. William S., son of Rev. Daniel HUNTINGTON, of N. Bridgewater, to Miss Lucy O. ERSKINE, of South Abington.

In South Weymouth, 27th ult., by Rev. W. M. HARDING, Mr. Asa POOL, Jr., to Mrs. Sarah F. BICKNELL, both of W.

In Stoneham, 16th ult., by Rev. W. C. WHITCOMB, Mr. E. Thomas GREEN to Miss Sarah Jane PERRY, both of S.; 27th ult., Mr. Josiah L. FOWLE to Miss Rebecca B. WHITE, both of Woburn.

In Millbury, April 18th, by Rev. L. GRIGGS, Rev. S. J. HUMPHREY, of Newark, OH, to Mrs. S. E. HUTCHINSON, of Millbury.


In this City, 28th ult., Mr. Francis H., son of Hon Wm. APPLETON, 30; Miss Emma Frances, only daughter of Mr. Edmond C. DEMING, 18y6m8d.

In Dorchester, 28th ult., Mrs. Ann TOLMAN, 84. She retired in usual good health, Saturday evening, and fell while dressing, Sabbath morning.

In Malden, 29th ult., Samuel WENTWORTH, Esq. in his 26th yr.

In Medway Village, 19th ult., Mr. William FULLER, 67.

In Weymouth, 19th ult., Miss Bethiah BATES, 77.

In Abington, 21st ult., Mrs. Polly, wife of Dea. Jacob COBB, 75.

In South Brookfield, 22d ult., very suddenly, Mr. Samuel PERRY, 85.

In Middle Haddam, CT, 3d ult., Mr. Thaddeus TIBBALS,65. His funeral was attended by his fourteen children, all arrived at adult years, and all living within a mile of their father's house.

In Springfield, 19th ult., after a short illness, Mrs. Catharine L., wife of Rev. Raymond H. SEELEY, and daughter of Hon. Timothy COWLES, of Farmington, CT., 37.

In Hartford, CT, 22d ult., Mr. Samuel B. REDFIELD, 70.

In Detroit, MI, April 27th, Mr. Watson D. SHAW, 26. "Lovely in life, peaceful and happy in death."


William A. Brown
Died in Charlton, 17th inst., at the residence of his grandfather, Gen. Salem Towne, William A. Brown, in his 13th year, "the only son of his mother, and she was a widow."
(My note: From the Charlton, MA Vital Records: William Abijah Brown born 4 Sept. 1841 son of Abijah & Sally. Abijah Brown of Hawkinsville, GA, and Sally S. Towne, married 30 June 1834. Abijah Brown husband of Sally, died 30 Dec. 1841, age 31y. They also had a daughter, Amelia Louisa, born at Columbus, O., 17 June 1839; died 3 Nov. 1849 age 10y 7d.)

Mrs. Mary H. S. Hurd
Died, at Beaver Dam, Wis., 16th ult., Mrs. Mary H. S., wife of Rev. John C. Hurd, and daughter of Mr. Peter Shumway, of Oxford, MA. Mrs. Hurd was one of the early pupils of Miss Lyon, at the Holyoke Seminary; left a husband and children.


Died, at Merrimack, NH, 2d inst., Mrs. Mary Jane, wife of Rev. E. G. Little; and daughter of William Parker, Esq., of Suncook, NH, 30.

Rev. Edwin Goodell, late of the Union Theological Seminary, New York, was ordained a Missionary to the Armenians in Turkey, at Rocky Hill, CT, on the 12th inst.

The Hon. Daniel Wells, Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas for Massachusetts, died last Friday fternoon, about 2 o'clock, at his residence in Cambridge. His last illness was of quite short duration, he having presided in the Municipal Court in this city up to Thursday afternoon, apparently in usual health. His disorder is supposed to have been an affection of the heart.

The following brief sketch of his life is from the Advertiser:--
   Judge Wells was about 63 years of age. He was graduated at Dartmouth College, in the year 1810, while that Institution was still under the charge of the venerable Dr. Wheelock. After he was admitted to the bar, he entered into practice in the western part of this State, where for the greater part of his life he was known as an upright and successful counsellor. He was appointed District Attorney for that district in 1838. He represented the County of Franklin in the Senate of the Commonwealth. At that time, and for some years after, he resided in Greenfield. On the resignation of Chief Justice Williams, in 1844, he was made Chief Justice of this Court; and he has performed the active duties of that position till this time. The funeral of Judge Wells took place on Tuesday; after which the remains were conveyed to Greenfield for interment.


Fatal Accident at Scituate.--Two young men drowned. Yesterday afternoon, five young men, four of whom were sons of Mr. John Bass, of Scituate, were in a light sail boat off the harbor of Scituate, engaged in drawing lobsters; four of them being on one side of the boat, when the fifth, who was engaged in fixing the mast, slipped, and in his fall caught hold of the mast and capsized the boat. A Cape schooner, near by, sent her boat to rescue the drowning persons. One who clung to the boat was saved, as were also two others who were grasped by the hair of the head just as they were sinking for the last time. The two others were drowned. Of the three rescued, one was apparently dead when taken out of the water; but by the persevering application of the proper remedies, was finally brought to life. The two young men drowned, were sons of Mr. Bass.--Traveller 27th.

The Alleged West Newton Tradegy. Some time since an account was given in the Traveller, and other papers of this city, of an alleged attempt to assassinate a young man named J. Paine, at the house of his father at West Newton. Recently, as we learn, young Paine has showed unmistakable signs of insanity, and has been sent to an insane asylum. It is now generally supposed, among his townsmen, that on the night of the alleged attempt, he had an attack of insanity in which he imagined that he was assailed, and that the wounds which he received were inflicted by himself in his endeavors to repel his supposed adversary. He spent one or two years of his life in California, where his health was seriously undermined by a long attack of sickness.

Fatal Accident.--At North Andover two men were engaged in painting the Unitarian Church, when in lowering their spring stage, the rope slipped from the hands of one of the men, and both were precipitated thirty feet to the ground. A Mr. Luther Barnes was so seriously injured as to die in a short time. He leaves a family in Haverhill. The other man, named Loveland, escaped with a broken leg.

A Curiosity in Horticulture. Dr. L. warriner has now in his garden at Warren, an apple tree, upon one limb of which is growing an apple five inches in circumference, and a branch of the same limb is just in blossom. No other apples are growing upon the tree, nor is any other portion in blossom.--Springfield Republican.

The Children of Dr. Judson. Suitable provision has been made for six surviving children of Dr. Judson. Five of these are the children of Sarah B. Judson, the youngest of whom, a son of eight years, has been adopted by Professor Dodge, of Madison University. The sixth only, a little daughter born in Maulmain in 1847, is the child of Emily C. Judson, and she has been taken home by Miss Anable, of Philadelphia, to whom she was long ago given. We are also informed that abundant materials are left for a life of Mrs. Judson herself, and suitable precautions have been used to secure a complete and authentic memoir, the avails of which shall be secured to the surviving children.--New York Recorder.

Cost of Recovering Fugitives. The Norfolk Correspondent of the New York Evening Post says:--"The general sentiment in regard to the fugitive Burns is, that the getting of him was altogether too expensive a job to be of profit to anyone. The result affords very little satisfaction; it shows too plainly that slave-catching at the North is going to be, more than ever, a hard business, and the man who essays to do it will have a current of public sentiment to encounter which it will be difficult to stem.

Shocking Death. Miss Mary Zollars visited the drug store of Dr. Artar of Carrolton, OH, on the 2d inst., and going behind the counter, commenced in a playful manner to examine the various drugs, by tasting or smelling. She finally took down a vial, containing powdered strychnine, and touched a particle with her tongue. The taste being disagreeable, she immediately spit it out. But the subtle poison had made sure work. In a few moments she was thrown into spasms, which ended in death, in a quarter of an hour. This is a terrible warning to incautious curiosity.


In Salem, 21st inst., by Rev. Dr. WORCESTER, Mr. Abraham F. BOSSON to Miss Ellen M. COFFIN.

In Dedham, 21st inst., by Rev. Dr. LAMSON, Mr. John H. B. THAYER to Miss Mary S. WILDER.

In North Weymouth, 15th inst., by Rev. J. EMERY, Mr. Eliphaz W. ARNOLD, of Boston, to Miss Mary W. LOVELL.

In South Weymouth, 22d inst., by Rev. W. M. HARDING, Mr. Edwin JACOBS, of South Scituate, to Miss Emily T. BLANCHARD, of S. W.

In Cohasset, 21st inst., Mr. H. W. VINAL, of Boston, to Miss Mercy V. ORCUTT, of C.

In Natick, 15th inst., by Rev. Elias NASON, Mr. John W. CROWLEY to Miss Harriet N. CRAIG, both of N.

In Sudbury, 13th inst., by Rev. C. V. SPEAR, Levi P. STONE, Esq., of New York, to Miss Caroline E. CUTLER, of S.; 20th inst., Mr. Hobart MOORE, of Natick, to Miss Sarah Emma, only daughter of Buckley HOWE, Esq., of S.

In Townsend, 15th inst., by Rev. L. H. SHELDON, Mr. Isaac WARNER to Miss Lucy Ann HAGRUS.

In New Bedford, 22d inst., by Rev. Jonas PERKINS, of Braintree, Jonas R. PERKINS, Esq., of North Bridgewater, to Miss Jane A. HOLMES, of New Bedford.

In Carlisle, 22d inst., by Rev. John LAWRENCE, Mr. Prescott NICKLES to Mrs. Maria L. TAYLOR, both of C.

In Whately, 15th inst., by Rev. John FERGUSON, Mr. Heman B. ALLEN, Merchant of New Haven, CT., to Miss Margarette E., daughter of the officiating clergyman.

In Fitzwilliam, NH, 27th inst., by Rev. Mr. JENKINS, Mr. Gardiner BREWER, of Boston, to Miss Marinda C. BRYANT, of F.

In Standish, ME, 4th inst., by Rev. J. B. HADLEY, Mr. Elisha Douglass, of Gorham, to Miss Ellen PATRICK, of Buxton; Mr. Albert CRESSEY to Miss Elizabeth PATRICK, both of Gorham; 22d inst., Mr. John H. PHILBRICK to Miss Isabella G., daughter of Rev. James WESTON, all of S.

In Temple, NH, 21st inst., by Rev. Walter FOLLETT, Denison K. SMITH, Esq. of Barre, VT, to Miss Maria B., daughter of the officiating clergyman.

At Oak Grove Ranch, Calif., Mr. Harry J RAPHAEL to Miss Jane, daughter of Mr. Andrew KITCHEN, of Boston.


In this city, 26th inst., Mrs. Hannah, widow of the late Mr. Sampson REED, 84.

In Quincy, 17th inst., Mr. Samuel RAWSON, 60.

In Newton, 22d inst., Mr. Joseph BACON, 72.

In Randolph, 25th inst., Mrs. Charlotte Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Charles FRENCH, and only daughter of Mr. Jacob and Mrs. Lavinnia TIRRELL, of Weymouth, 17y4m.

In New Ipswich, NH, 21st inst., Mrs. Ruth Kidder STONE, 92.

In Hudson, NH, 20th inst., of consumption, Miss Dorcas S., daughter of Mr. Jefferson SMITH, 18.

In Stonington, CT., at the residence of her father, suddenly, of hemorrhage of the lungs, Miss Mary Elizabeth, only daughter of Rev. Stephen HUBBELL, in her 21st year; better known to magazine readers by the non de plume of "Leila Linwood."

In Woodbridge, CT., 20th inst., Mr. John D. TOMLINSON, 19; a member of the Sophomore class in Yale College.

In Williamsburg, NY, Mr. J. C. MEEKS, the Publishing Agent of the American Sunday School Union in New York.

In Peoria, ILL, 14th inst., Mrs. Susan, wife of Rev. John Tallmadge MARSH, and daughter of Rev. Mr. HUNTOON, of Marblehead, MA, 21.

In Charlestown, SC, 14th inst., at the residence of her brother, J. B. CAMPBELL, Esq., of consumption, Mrs. Celia Elisabeth, wife of Rev. Dr. S. H. HIGGINS, of New Haven, CT., 35.

In Georgia, 8th inst., Major George H. TALCOTT, of the U. S. Ordinance Corps.

In the City of Mexico, 17th inst., suddenly, by an attack of Cholera, Madame SONTAG. The event caused profound regret. She was buried on the 19th, from the church of San Ferdinando.


Died, in Macon, GA,12th inst., Miss Catharine Maria, youngest daughter of the late Dea. John Murdock, of Westminster, MA, 20.

Died, at Mt. Vernon, on the Ohio River, 6th inst., Mr. William E., son of Rev. John Ferguson, of Whately, MA, in his 30th yr. He leaves a wife and infant child; he formerly resided in Cleveland, and at the time of his death was engaged as an engineer on a railroad in Tennessee. He was making arrangements to return to Cleveland, and to become a permanent resident of this city.--Com.

Died, in Groveland, 16th inst., Mrs. Sarah E., wife of Mr. Charles A. Shaw. She was a victim of that insidious disease, the consumption.

Died, Nov. 17, 1853, at the residence of Prof. Mills, Crawfordsville, IN., Miss Selina Wyatt, of North Danvers, MA.

Died, in North Bridgewater, 14th inst., Mrs. Abby H., wife of Mr. Horace Ames, 33. She was a native of China, ME., and was the daughter of Mr. Zebedee and Mrs. Hannah Snell. May 5th, 1845, she was married to Mr. Horace Ames, and removed to North Bridgewater, MA, and afterwards became a member of the First Congregational Church in that place. She leaves a husband and children.

Died, in Cotuit, 16th inst., Rev. P. Fish, in the sixty eighth year of his age, and the forty fifth of his ministry. Mr. Fish was a native of Sandwich, and graduated at Cambridge in 1807. After spending a year in Theological study with Rev. Mr. Simpkins, of Brewster, he accepted a call to the pastoral office over the Indian Missionary Church, at Marshpee, and was ordained in 1811.

Rev. James R. Cushing, late of Wells, ME, having removed to East Taunton, Bristol County, MA, desires all communication designed for him to be directed to the latter place.