SOURCE: New England Puritan, published Boston
TRANSCRIBER: Marilyn Labbe

THURSDAY, AUG. 4, 1853

Since our last issue, intelligence has arrived of the death of Rev. Justin Edwards, D.D., of Andover. He died at the Virginia Springs, aged 66. Dr. Edwards graduated at Williams College. He was afterwards pastor of the South Church in Andover, then of the Salem Street Church, in Boston, and afterwards, he filled for several years the office of President of the Theological Seminary at Andover. For the last few years, his health has been feeble, and he has had a gradual descent to the grave.

Rev. Nathaniel J. Burton, was Ordained and Installed as pastor over the Second Congregational Church, in Fair Haven, CT, on Wed., July 20th, by the New Haven East Consociation.

Hon. Charles Paine, formerly Governor of Vermont, died at the village of Waco, Texas, on the 6th inst., at the age of 54 years. His disease was dysentery, and his illness of about three weeks continuance.

We regret to learn, says the Daily Advertiser, that the Hon. Nahum Mitchell, of Bridgewater, died suddenly at Plymouth on Monday. He was seized with a fit in the street, opposite the Pilgrim Hall, fell, and expired immediately. He was born in Bridgewater, on the 12th of Feb. 1769, and was consequently 84 yrs of age. He was a graduate of Harvard College in the years 1789, being one of the two survivors of that class, which numbered among its distinguished members, the Rev. President Kirkland, Hon. George Blake, and Rev. William Emerson, of this city, and Rev. Dr. Thayer, of Lancaster.

We are informed by a passenger on board the steamer Boston, from Bangor, that Rev. Preston Pond, pastor of the Edwards Church in this city, who was also a passenger, soon after starting became suddenly and violently insane, though before reaching Belfast he became comparatively quiet. He remained at Belfast in charge of a friend, who was in company with him. Mr. Pond has been out of health for some months past, so much so as to require him to temporarily suspend his labors with his own people. He recently had an attack of erysipelas in the head, from the effects of which he had not entirely recovered when he started on his visit to Bangor.--Advertiser of Saturday.
   [Since the above was in type, we learn from the Daily Times of Monday, that Mr. Pond is now at the Insane Hospital at Somerville, where he is in a fair way to recover]

The brig Isaac Carver, of Searsport, ME, Capt. Clark, which arrived at this port on Tuesday, from Cardenas, was struck by lightening on the 18th of July, which shivered the mainmast, and killed Charles Eckard, of Halifax, seaman, aged 22 years.

Hon. Wm. B. Banister, of this city, who died a few weeks since, has left the principal portion of his property, say about $40,000, to be divided equally to the American Bible Society; the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions; the American Education Society; The Massachusetts Home Missionary Society; and the American Colonization Society. The property is chargeable with life annuities of 1200 to his widow, and $600 to his daughter.--Newburyport Herald.

Several of the old pupils of the American Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb at Hartford, have commenced raising funds for a monument to the late Thomas Gallaudet. Two thousand dollars have been subscribed. The contract is given to a Hartford man, and the monument is to be placed in the grounds of the Asylum. Its height will be twenty feet, with the name of Gallaudet in the manual alphabet on the front panel.

The body of Andrew Hermann, whose sad fate at Niagara Falls excited so much attention, it has been recovered. It was found near the landing of the "Maid of the Mist," below the Suspension Bridge. The head and body was much mangled--a sharp stone, or other object, having pierced the body either in its fearful descent or afterwards.


In the City, 25 ult., by Rev. Alexander BLAIKIE, Mr. Thomas ALLEN to Miss Elizabeth A. McBAIN; on the 27th ult., by the same, Mr. Robert C. THOMPSON to Miss Ann B. McDONALD.

In Braintree, 28th ult., by Rev. J. PERKINS, Mr. Loring W. DERBY to Miss Sarah M. HOLBROOK, both of Weymouth.

In Seekonk, 1st inst., by Rev. J. O. BARNEY, Dea. George M. COIT, of Bristol, RI., to Miss Clarissa, daughter of the late Dea. Cyril CARPENTER, of Attleboro.

In Mattapoisett, 31st ult., by Rev. Wm. S. MATHER, Mr. Zacheus M. BARSTOW, 2d, to Miss Mary Jane SNOW.

In Wells River, VT, 28th ult., Mr. Isaiah F. HOYT, of Beverly, MA, to Miss Josephine, youngest daughter of Phineas EASTMAN, Esq., formerly of Canaan, NH.


In the City, 26th ult., Mrs. Mary Caldwell, wife of the late Mr. Simeon PALMER, 61; Mrs. Mary R., wife of Mr. Luther LUNT, 39; 28th ult., Hon. Joseph TILDEN, 74.

In Littleton, 25th ult., Rev. William H. WHITE, for twenty five years pastor of the First Church in Littleton, 53.

In Sturbridge, 7th ult., Mrs. Sarah C., wife of Mr. Livingston SHUMWAY, 35.

In Ashland, June 26th, Mrs. Delia Lavinia, wife of Mr. Joshua SMITH, and daughter of Mr. S. N. CUTLER, 24.

In Rye, NH, 25th ult., Mrs. Sarah, widow of Samuel NORRIS, or Portsmouth, 102.

In the vicinity of Sacramento, CA, in Feb. last, of the brain fever, Mr. Eben A. EATON. His native place was Phillipston, MA, but during the latter part of his life, (previous to his leaving for Calif, in May 1852) he had been residing in Washington, IA, where he has left a family to mourn the loss of an affectionate husband, and indulgent parent.


Died in South Canaan, CT, 26th ult., Mr. Ely Ensign, 74. He died after three weeks sickness.

On the 19th ult., the venerable Ebenezer Sanborn of Sanbornton, NH, fell asleep in Jesus at the advanced age of 87 years. The deceased was the second son of Anglo Saxon parentage born in Sanbornton. Left a family.

Died at New Ipswich, NH, Mar. 5, 1853, Mrs. Rachel Brooks, 82. Her parents were both eminently pious. They have nine children all of whom were married, and all with their companions were members of the Church of Christ. Their grandchildren were 53, of whom 42 are professors of religion.
   Mrs. Brooks was the mother of seven children, and 19 grandchildren.


Another Watchman has fallen on the walls of Zion. The Rev. Samuel Carlos Wilcox, of Owego, NY, on Sabbath, March 26th, departed to his heavenly rest. He was born in Sandisfield, MA in 1808. As he was the eldest of a large family of children, his mother being a widow, much of the responsibility of the family devolved upon him. He wanted to become a minister; apparently there was no way by which his cherished wish could be realized without much sacrifice. His mother made it a subject of special fasting and prayer for a week, and at the close of the same said, "So, my son, it can be done; we must practice more self-denial. God will take care of us." Immediately he entered Lexon Academy, to prepare for College; then entered Williams College, and graduated with honor in the class of 1835. On leaving college, he spent some time in teaching. He studies theology at Auburn. He preached some months after being licensed, in Berkshire, NY, from which place he was called to succeed Rev. Charles White, D.D., as pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Owego, who was invited to the Presidency of Wabash College. Here he continued for four years, a faithful and laborious minister. Afterwards he was settled over the Congregational Church of Williamsburg, MA, where he continued several years. Some of his former church at Owego, feeling that the cause of Christ would be advanced by the organization of a new church, called him to be their pastor. He devoted his time and energies for the good of this new enterprise. His health failed him in the spring of 1853, during a rivival of religion; and the summer following, he resigned his charge, and established a school for boys, one and a half miles from Owego village. But he gradually declined in health, so that this his cherished object was not fully realized. He was confined to bed only two days.

Died, in Pawtucket, Apr. 12th, Mrs. Mercy B. Tiffany, aged 71, daughter of the late Dea. Peter Thacher, of Attleboro, whose son of the same name and office lives in the house erected by his Grandfather, Rev. Peter T., first pastor of the Second Church in that town, which has always had an altar for morning and evening prayer, and from which an unusual number of descendants, professing Christ, have gone out to witness a good confession in other parts of the land.
   Mrs. Tiffany was a descendant, in the sixth generation, of Rev. Thomas Thacher, son of Rev. Peter Thacher, of Salisbury, England, who came to New England in his minority, with his father's brother, Anthony Thacher, was educated under Rev. Charles Chauncy, of Scituate, afterwards President of Harvard College, and settled in the ministry, first at Weymouth, and secondly as the first pastor of the Old South Church, in Boston. His father, Rector of Salisbury, offered him a University education in England; but his non-conformity led him to decline.
   The lineage of Mrs. T. is:--1. Rev. Thomas T. of Boston; 2. Rev. Peter T. of Milton; 3. Rev. Peter T. of Middleboro; 4. Rev. Peter T. of Attleboro; 5. Dea. Peter T. of Attleboro; 6. Mercy, eldest daughter, married first to Mr. Timothy Balkom, of Attleboro, and secondly to Ebenezer Tiffany, Esq., of Pawtucket, whom she survived.
   She descended also, through her maternal ancestors, from other Christian ministers of Old and New England, and from one of the Governors of Plymouth Colony. Elizabeth wife of Rev. Thomas T. of Boston, was daughter of Rev. Ralph Partridge of Duxbury. Theodora, wife of Rev. Peter T. of Milton, was daughter of Rev. John Oxenbridge of Boston. Mary, wife of Rev. Peter T. of Middleboro, was daughter of Hon. Samuel Prince of Rochester, whose grandfather, Rev. John Prince, Rector of East Shefford, Berks, England, married a daughter of Rev. Dr. Tolberry, of Oxford, England. The mother of Mary, wife of Rev. Peter T. of Middleboro was Mercy, daughter of Gov. Thomas Hinckley, whose benignant name has been worthily borne by the subject of this notice and others of her descendants.

Letter of Thomas Thacher

The following letter of Rev. Thomas Thacher, first pastor of the Old South Church, in Boston, to his son, Peter, in London, afterwards pastor at Milton, was found with Dea. Peter Thacher, of Attleboro, a descendant of Thomas in the sixth generation. The manuscript is in a state of decay, and is conserved in a casket by Mr. Peter Thacher, of Cleveland, OH, eldest son of Dea. Peter Thacher. A few words are obliterated, but nothing is lost which is needed for a full understanding of the letter.
   The family Arms, impressed on the wax seal, are: Gules, a cross moline argent, on a chief, or three grasshoppers proper. Crest,--A grasshopper proper. The Coat Armor is of undoubted authenticity. George M. Thacher, Esq. of Boston has a seal, with the same Arms, which descended from his grandfather, Dr. Peter Thacher, former pastor of the Brattle Street Church.

Boston, 16. 8, 1676
   My Dear Son Peter:--I have received four letters from you, whereby I have joyfully, and I hope thankfully, taken notice of the kindness of God in your comfortable voyage to, and kind reception in England, by our friends; which has enlarged my desires to hear further from you.
   I hope also you have long ere this received mine to you. At present, you may understand that God hath utterly scattered, delivered up, and subdued the heathen that first rose up against us, delivered up Philip to death, cleared the wasts of Plymouth, Narragansett, Connecticut, Quaboag &c, from those bloody and blasphemous heathen; but behold a new enemy is broken out to the east and northward, who have laid waste the country, &c; slain my good friend Capt. Lake, and many others; and, this very day past, woeful tidings is come of the taking in by surrender Mr. Scott's+ garrison at Stony Point, he being but the last week come from the same to Boston, and leaving Esq. Joslin, as they call him, chief commander. What the particular circumstances are, is not yet certain amongst us; but this is certain, that the place is taken; the garrison strong; two great pieces there; and many small arms, and good store of provisions. Such a spirit of fear and cowardice is poured out on the inhabitants of those parts, that it is exceeding ominous. The Indians carry all before them, by sea and land,on the main and on the islands in Casco, having taken several vessels, one with two great guns in it, &c. This part of the war is like to be the more difficult, because so far off from us; because so near the French, who are reported to be among the Indians. This day it was said that there were twenty in the exploit; but we have no certainty of it, and foolish jealousies my feign that fear makes scarecrows to affright the fearful, and a sluggard may say a lion is in the way. So, many of those fearful persons may think to hide their shame by such suggestions. As for myself, I at present enjoy a comfortable measure of health and strength, though laboring under some weakness gotten in my sickness. If you have not more than ordinary encouragement, and a most evident call to stay in England, I hope I shall see you here, if the Lord lengthens our lives to the next summer. The Lord guide your whole way, and bless you with all the blessings of his everlasting covenant, and make you a blessing wherever you come, that he may be your portion.
   I had almost forgot to tell you that I received a letter from my brother, Paul Thacher, who lives in Salisbury, certifying that my brother John died three years ago, very poor. That my mother-in-law's sister, one Mrs. Elizabeth Coombs, widow to Mr. Coombs, the great Ana-Baptist, is alive; she was a lively, hearty Christian, when I lived at Salisbury, and I am confident would rejoice greatly to see you; being an old friend of my father's. If you go thither, I presume that you will find many old friends that will rejoice much to see you. But I fear such * * * *ne coming on in England, that I wish you here. To the * * * Dear Jesus I * * * on resting * * * Your dear father,
Thomas Thacher

+S. G. Drake thinks this was probably Capt. Joshua Scotton.

Your sister Betty has nearly recovered, blessed by God, from a sore dysentery flux, which is malignant, and has taken away many.
   To B. D., your salutations were very acceptable. Your brother Thomas has not yet returned from New York , but is expected daily. The Lord bring him in safety. Your brother Ralph and his family, as also your brother Thomas's, for ought I know, are all in health. If you can get Ames' Medulla and Cases, in English, for your brother Ralph, do it, and forget it not. [Here follows a line of short hand] Once again I commend you to the grace and benediction of God according to his everlasting covenant.

18. 8, 1676
   This day came news to hand, that Mr. Joslin was deserted by those in the garrison, whilst he was treating with the Indians; so that he, with four more, with three women, were forced to flee in the night, one of the women died by the way; they fled in old canoes to a place not far from Piscataqua, so that Mr. Joslin was innocent in that matter.
   Present my service to my brother and sister Barker, and to my son and daughter Sheaf; her mother received great comfort in the letter she sent, and doth vehemently long for their return.
   These from his son, Mr. Peter Thacher, at Mr. Matthew Barker's, Turner's Hall, on Philput Lane, London.

An Ecclesiastical Council met in the West Parish of Ware, on the 17th inst., for the purpose of dissolving the relation between the church and the pastor, Rev. D. N. Coburn.

Rev. Samuel Beane of Little Compton, RI, has taken leave of absence from his people for six months, with the view of spending the summer at the West. He will act as Agent for the Massachusetts Sabbath School Society in the State of Ohio; and his address for the present will be, Columbus, OH.

Rev. Charles Packard, late of Lancaster, was installed pastor of the Second Evangelical Church in Cambridgeport, on Wednesday evening, the 27th ult.

It is stated that the First Church and Society, in Manchester, NH, have voted to grant their pastor, the Rev. Mr. Wallace, leave of absence for six months, and to continue his salary in the meantime. He is expecting to spend the season in Europe.

Rev. S. Hine, of the First Congregational Church in Palmer, we regret to learn, has requested a dismission "on the ground of inadequate support."

 Rains and Great Flood. The Connecticut Valley, says a Springfield paper, is now the scene of the greatest freshet ever witnessed by its oldest inhabitants. A heavy rain commenced on Wed., 26th ult., and saving a brief cessation on Thursday, has continued to fall in torrents almost constantly, till the present time. The storm must have extended with equal severity far to the north, as is evident from the rapid and extraordinary rise in the Connecticut river, which at this writing is overflowing its banks and flooding extensive tracts of adjacent lands. The water commenced rising on Thursday night, steadily increasing through the following days, and at 6 o'clock on Sabbath evening, it had risen twenty feet above low water mark, three or four inches higher than in the great flood of 1843, and to the same height as in the memorable and disastrous flood of 1801, known as the "Jefferson flood*," and was still rising at the rate of three inches an hour. (*known as the Jefferson flood, because of coinciding nearly with Mr. Jefferson's accession to the residency.) The water now almost washes the floor of the old Springfield bridge, and is almost as nearly up to that of the railroad bridge, though it is not considered that either are in immediate danger.
   As the natural result, this great rise of water, has awakened much public anxiety, and on Sunday every accessable point on the Springfield bank of the river was crowded with spectators, eagerly watching the progress of the flood.
   In the south part of the city, several streets and numerous cellars are flooded. On the West Springfield side, several houses are completely surrounded by the rushing tide, which in many places makes a clean breach over the tops of the fences. The occupants of some of the houses were taken off in boats on Sunday morning, and found safety in more favored locations. Some of the finest localities occupied for residences in West Springfield are entirely under water.
   It is evident that the volume of water is much larger than in either of the former great freshets. At 9 o'clock Sunday evening, the water had risen four inches in addition to the above, and was still rising, while the rain continued to pour down without any signes of cessation.
   At Windsor Locks, CT, midway between here and Hartford, the upper locks of the canal had been carried away Sunday afternoon, and the valuable factories and other buildings along the canal banks, were seriously threatened by the flood of water that poured down the canal.--Springfield Repulican.
   Springfield, May 1.--Evening.--The flood has proved the greatest on record, the water rising 15 inches higher than in 1801, but it is now falling. Railroad communication to the South is entirely suspended; to the North partially.
   Hartford, May 1st, 10 A.M.--The greatest flood ever known in this city or vicinity has visited us, the water being two feet higher than in the memorable flood of 1801--having reached to a height of thirty feet above low water mark. In the lower part of the city all the houses are full of water to the second story.
   The damage to property in this city will be very heavy, and involve much suffering to the poor people that have been driven from their homes.
   The Mayor has ordered the public buildings of the city to be thrown open for their use, and also ordered out boats to rescue such as are in danger.
   The water is upon the floor of the Willimantic Railroad bridge, and also the bridge opposite the city, and fears are entertained that they may be carried away.
   There is also an unprecented freshet in the Farmington valley, and we hear of railroad abutments and culverts haveing been carried away.

Hudson River at Albany.--The river, yesterday, had attained an unusual height--overflowing the pier and docks, submerging Quay and Dean streets,--the former through its entire length, and running nearly up to Broadway, through the intersecting streets. At Troy, the entire river side of the city was submerged.--Albany Argus.

   The Railroads in New York and New Jersey were more or less damaged by the washing down of banks, destruction of bridges, &c. On the Harlem Railroad one or two important bridges were carried away; but the damage will soon be repaired. On the Hudson River Road, 250 feet of the bridge over Croton River was destroyed, and in other places embankments washed down. On the New York and Erie Railroad extensive damage was done, and seven lives were lost at Stairway, a few miles west of Port Jervis; they being carried into the river by a large quantity of earth, which loosened and gave way.
   The flood has so far injured the Croton dam as to cut off the usual supply of water for New York City.


Rev. A.C. Page, late of Holland, having removed to West Stafford, CT, requests all letters and communications designed for him, to be addressed to him at the latter place.

By a statement in the New Haven Journal it appears that Enoch Sage, a member of the Legislature of Connecticut elected recently, was a member in 1803, half a century ago.

Bunker Hill Monument is now lighted on the inside, by gas.

The Shirt Factory of T. H. Barnes, which was burnt in Bridgeport, CT, on Wednesday night, was doubtless fired by incendiaries, as two men were overheard conversing in the street as to the right time for raising an alarm a short time before the alarm was given.


In Townsend, 26th ult., by Rev. S. H. SHELDON, Mr. James CAMPBELL to Miss Sarah Authena FESSENDEN.

In Chester, 26th ult., by Rev. David BREED, Jr., Mr. Eliab LADD to Miss Mary A. WEEKS, both of C.

In Spencer, 1st inst., by Rev. J. H. NORTHRUP, of Warren, Mr. George JENKS to Miss Martha A. RICHARDSON, both of S.

In Foxboro, 25th ult., by Rev. E. Y. GARRETTE, Mr. Arza B. KEITH, of Campello,to Miss Mary Ann, eldest daughter of Otis CARY, Esq., of F.

In Woonsocket, 23d ult., by Rev. L. PACKARD, Mr. William H. ALDRICH to Miss Phebe A. WILBER.

In Bunker Hill, IL, 19th ult., by Rev. Mr. BARTON, Benjamin F. LONG, M. D., of Alton, to Mrs. H. L. FURBER of the former place.

In Atkinson, NH, on the evening of the 24th ult., by Rev. Samuel H. TOLMAN, M. D., assisted by Rev. Jesse PAGE, Rev. Charles SECCOMBE, Home Missionary in St. Anthony, Minnesota Territory, to Miss Harriet M., youngest daughter of Rev. S. H. TOLMAN. The marriage was solemnized in the Church, after which the Rev. Mr. TOLMAN addressed to his children some parting instruction. Mr. and Mrs. S. left on the following morning for their distant home in the West.


In this City, 26 ult., Miss Charlotte Cushing, eldest daughter of Mr. Foster and Mrs. Charlotte V. WATERMAN, 21y 8m 14d.

In Woburn, Mr. Randolph WYMAN, 75.

In Newton Corner, 27th ult., Mr. Heman M. BURR, Jr., of this city, 27.

In New Braintree, 2d ult., Mr. Samuel S. WOODS, 65.

In Glastenbury, CT, 11th ult., Col. James SELLEW, 76.

In East Windsor, CT, 16th ult., Mrs. Sophia M., wife of Mr. Nathaniel POTWINE, 52; 18th ult., Mr. Nathaniel POTWINE, 56


Died in Harrison, ME, March 29th, Mrs. Sarah P. Perley, aged 31. She was a native of Ipswich, and a member of the Congregational Church, Rowley.

Died, very suddenly, in West Boylston, on the evening of the 10th ult., Mrs. Jane Delano, wife of Mr. James H. Moore, aged 47 y 9 m.. Mrs. Moore was the daughter of Gideon Delano, Esq., late of Amherst, MA, and granddaughter of the late Capt. Abishai Delano of New Bedford. Her maternal grandfather was Artemas Howe, Esq. of New Braintree.--a gentleman of high respectability, wealth and influence in the days of the Revolution. He was a large land-holder, and married the daughter of Gen. Warner of Hardwick; who was associated on terms of intimacy with Washington, Adams and many others of noble deeds in that day; and who also married a sister of the late Samuel Parkman, Esq., of Boston. Mrs. Moore was born in New Braintree, July 4th, 1806. At the age of 21 she became a wife, and subsequently, the mother of three children, two of whom survive.

THURSDAY, MAY 18, 1854

High School for Girls

   The Sub-Committee of the Joint Standing Committee on Public Instruction, to whom was referred so much of the Mayor's Address, as relates to the establishment of a High School for Girls in this city, have presented a Report strongly in favor of such a School, as necessary to complete the system of instruction now existing in Boston.
   The Report, which is signed by C. P. Hinds, Esq., in behalf of the Committee, is an able document, and enters thoroughly into the merits of the whole subject, effectually answering the arguments that have hitherto been urged against these schools, and fully establishing the claims of daughters and sisters to an equal participation in the educational privileges that are so liberally bestowed upon the youth of the other sex.

We regret to learn, from the communication of a correspondent of the Boston Journal, that the Rev. John Storrs, pastor of the First Congregational Church in Winchendon, was removed by death on the evening of the 8th inst., age 52 yrs, having been born on the 6th of Sept. 1801, in the town of Mansfield, CT.

Rev. John Dodge was installed at Harvard on Wed. May 10th, as pastor of the Congregational Church.

The Salem Register of the 15th inst., states that the "Rev. Mr. Parker, of Concord, the officiating clergyman of the Society at which President Pierce worshipped, before he was President, is about to leave his parish, because, out of motives of delicacy, he refused to sign the Remonstrance against the Nebraska Bill.

We learn from the Evening Journal, that Rev. J. A. Butler and wife, who have been connected with the Mission of the American Board at South Africa, returned home in the barque Springbok, which arrived here on the 4th inst. They have returned on account of the failure of Mrs. Butler's health.

Rev. James Thompson, D.D., pastor of the Unitarian Church in Barre, MA, died suddenly in that town on Sunday afternoon last. A few months since, the fiftieth anniversary of his settlement over the Church in that place, was celebrated.

The Freshet

   In giving some incidents connected with the recent freshet, the Springfield Republican mentions the following:--
   At South Windsor, a Mr. Elmer, whose house occupies a low and isolated site upon the bank of the river, unexpectedly found his premises in the bottom of a lake on Sunday morning, 30th ult., with a prospect that his house would soon float down stream, and with no hope of being able to save his horse, cattle and other farm stock. He had only a small skiff, and it was almost a mile to the nearest shore. While deliberating as to the course he should pursue, he discovered that a ferry boat had come down stream and lodged in a clump of shubbery above his house. He secured it, and it was only by this provendential means of rescue that he succeeded in saving his farm stock from drowning.

Jumping the Rope

A little girl, aged eight years, in the village of Newark, near Rochester, NY, died from the effects of jumping the rope. She was competing with some of her school companions and jumped four hundred times without stopping. She was taken home insensible; but the movement of the muscles of the limbs, as if in jumping, continued without cessation for forty-eight hours, until she died.


In Andover, 10th inst., by Rev. Mr. GREENE, Mr. H. JONES, of West Boylston, to Miss Ann E. JONES, of Andover.

In Milton, 6th ult., by Rev. A. K. TEELE, Mr. George McINTOSH, of Dorchester, to Miss Mary McQuirk, of M. Also, by the same, in Dorchester, 7th inst., Mr. William H. COX, to Miss Eliza BLENUS, both of Dorchester.

In South Weymouth, 6th inst., by Rev. W. M. HARDING, Mr. Edward LEWIS to Miss Elizabeth J. LEWIS, both of Weymouth.

In Concord, 27th ult., by Rev. L. H. ANGIER, Mr. William McKEE, of Billerica, to Miss Olive E. MARSHALL, of C.; 2d inst., Mr. Otis W. PARKER to Miss Sarah E. COOLIDGE, both of Westford; 4th inst., Mr. Nathan DERBY to Miss Mary jane REYNOLDS, both of C.

In Spencer, 9th inst., by Rev. J. H. NORTHRUP, of Warren, Mr. Rensellear BUTLER to Miss Julia A. BEMIS, both of S.; also, by the same, at his father's residence in Spencertown, NY, 10th inst., Mr. Leman BRADLEY, of Williamsburgh, NY, to Miss Katherine L. NORTHRUP.


In this City, 25th ult., George Cushing, son of Mr. Samuel Niles and Mrs. Maria DYER, 15; 6th inst., Mrs. Sarah Appleton, wife of the late Mr. Elisha WHIDDEN, Merchant, of Portsmouth, NH, 84.

In Abington, Mr. Joseph WILKES, 76; Mr. Franklin, son of Mr. Ebenezer REED, 24.--He was well as usual, fifteen minutes before nine in the evening, when he coughed once, and died immediately.

In Northampton, 19th ult., Mrs. Rachel P., wife of John EDEN, Esq. 65.

In Bennington, NH, 4th inst., of consumption, Miss Martha M. DICKEY, 21.

In East Haddam, CT, (Millington Society), 7th inst., Dr. Cyrus EMMONS, 85.

In Newtown, CT, 30th ult., Mrs. Fannie G., wife of Rev. Jason ATWATER, 48.

In Glastenbury, CT, 5th inst., Mr. William H. CHILD, 53, late a merchant in Hartford, and subsequently a successful agriculturist in G.; leaving a bereaved widow and an aged father in his 90th year, to mourn his loss. Mr. C. died in consequence of hitting his head against a brace under his cow house, when in the act of heading off a cow which he wished to drive through a gate. A post mortem examination was held on Sunday morning, when it appeared that two of his neck bones were broken.

In Cincinnati, OH, 1st inst., after a short illness of scarlet fever, Peter Schuyler, the fourth son of Rev. Samuel W. FISHER, D. D., a bright little boy, in his third year.

In Trinidad, Cuba, 24th ult., Mr. Daniel, eldest son of Daniel HENCHMAN, Esq., of this city, 21.

In Cairo, Egypt, 9th ult., Mr. Edward Irving, son of Tyler BIGELOW, Esq., of Watertown, and a graduate of Harvard University in the year 1848, aged 26.

Windham County, CT

   The undersigned, having been entrusted by the Association of Windham County, CT, with the work of collecting materials for a history of that body, invites contributions of the requisite information. Especially he requests all who have been members of the Association (or pastors of Congregational Churches in the County), to communicate to him a sketch of their personal history, embracing genealogy, birth, education, settlements and dismissions, marriage, etc.; with some account of litterary productions and of family.
   He also requests similar information respecting the following deceased pastors, viz: Jared Andrus, Ephraim Avery, Nehemiah Barker, John Bass, Samuel Dorrance, Josiah Dwight, Jacob Eliot, Emerson Foster, Joshua Johnson, Gordon Johnson, Joseph Meacham, Ebenezer Martin, James Messinger, Samuel Moseley, Oliver Noble, Michaiah Porter, Thomas Rich, David Ripley, David S. Rowland, Noadiah Russell, Holland Sampson, John Storrs, William Throop.
   In respect to many others, his knowledge is very imperfect; and he would thankfully accept from those who can furnish it, the means of forming an estimate of their intellectual and moral worth, as well as any details of their lives and ministry.
Robert C. Learned
   Canterbury, CT., May 11, 1854

Rev. Charles Chamberlain has removed from Auburn, MA to Ashford, CT, and requests that all communications to him should be addressed to the latter place.

The Association of Windham County (CT), will meet with Rev. H. M. Colton, in South Woodstock, on Tuesday, June 6th, at 11 o'clock, A. M.
Robert C. Leaned, Register
   Canterbury, CT, May 12, 1854.


Mrs. Mary B. Frost
   Died, in Thetford, VT, 9th inst., Mrs. Mary B., wife of Dea. B. Frost, 47. A fond wife and mother..

Mr. William Freeland
   Died, in Feeding Hills, 24th ult., Mr. William Freeland, 87. He was born in Blanchard, MA and removed to this parish in the spring of 1822, where he had since resided.

James D. Lewis, Esq.
   Died, in Falmouth, 7th inst., James D. Lewis, Esq., in his 48th year. Mr. Lewis was a graduate of Yale College, went through the usual theological course at Andover, and spent two years--one as pastor--with the Congregational Church in North Reading. Three subsequent years were spent very successfully as a teacher, in Schenectady. Removing to his native place, he became, and was for three years, the pastor of the East Falmouth Congregational Church. By reason of ill health, he was obliged to relinquish the pastoral office, and for some years past had been engaged in the profession of law.

Mrs. Sarah N. Norcross
   Died, in Monson, 25th ult., Mrs. Sarah N., widow of the late Joel Norcross, Esq., 66. Mrs. Norcross was the daughter of the Rev. Joseph Vaill, for more than half a century the distinguished pastor of the Congregational Church in Hadlyme, CT, and the sister of the Rev. Dr. Vaill, of Somers, CT.