SOURCE: New England Puritan, published Boston
TRANSCRIBER: Marilyn Labbe

THURSDAY, MAR. 4, 1852

Ecclesiastical & Ministerial

Installation. Rev. Preston Pond, was installed over the Edwards Church, in Lowell street in this city, on Wed. evening of last week. The exercises on the occasion were as follows.--Invocation and Reading of the Scriptures, by Rev. Mr. Tucker; Sermon, by Prof. E. Pond, D. D.; Installing Prayer, by Rev. G. W. Blagden, D. D.; Charge, by Rev. H. Winslow; Right Hand of Fellowship, by the Rev. R. W. Clarke; Address to the People, by Rev. C. Cushing; Concluding Prayer, by Rev. Mr. James; and Benediction by the Pastor.

Mr. Edwin Leonard of Bangor, ME, has received an invitation from the Church and Society, of Milton Railway, to become their pastor.

Another Dreadful Accident from Burning Fluid

A most extraordinary case of explosion occurred in this city yesterday forenoon, which occasioned the alarm of fire soon after eleven o'clock, and will probably result in the recording of another victim to the fatal effects of burning fluid. The facts, as we understand them, are these.
   Miss Mary F. Choate, aged between 16 and 17, a daughter in law of Mr. Henry Buxton, was engaged in making bread, in the pantry of his house, in Carltonville, when a can of burning fluid, at some distance from where she was occupied, suddenly exploded, scattering the fluid in all directions, and enveloping the young girl in flames. She immediately ran into the kitchen and seized hold of her mother, clasping her so tightly, that it was with some difficulty the latter disengaged herself, and not without being considerably burned. The mother, as soon as possible, ran for some water, a couple of buckets full happening to be near, and extinguished the flames, and the neighbors hearing the alarm, soon gave their assistance. The girl was dreadfully injured, her clothes being nearly all consumed, and her hair, face and body so shockingly burned, that there is but slight chance of her surviving. She retained consciousness yesterday afternoon, but the medical advisers gave little hope of her recovery.
   The house was damaged to some extent by the fire, but the progress of the flames was stopped by the neighbors before the arrival of the engines.
   There was a cooking stove in the pantry, but the can stood on a shelf several feet distant, where no fire could communicate with it. It was a gallon can, covered, and the nose stopped tightly, and could not have contained more than a quart of fluid, as it was filled about a week ago and had been used from, constantly, since. The bottom was burst out and the handle torn off by the force of the explosion. We do not remember another instance of the ignition of any of these dangerous mixtures without actual and apparent contact with some flame; if the gases which they generate are thus liable to explode at any time, the sooner the public understand their quality, the better for the safety of the community. This melancholy and remarkable instance of their fatal effects should serve as a renewed caution to all who use them.--Salem Register of Thursday. [The young woman we learn has since died]

Destructive Fire at Northfield, VT

   We learn from Otis Kimball, agent of the Vermont Central Railroad Company, that a destructive fire occurred on Thursday morning, at half-past 2 o'clock, at Northfield, VT. The engine house, machine shop, seven locomotives and a platform car, belonging to the Vermont Central Railroad Company, were destroyed. The passenger house and an engine house, recently erected, are uninjured.
   The buildings were insured at the Montpelier Mutual Office. Three of the locomotives had been in use for four years; one, three years; and three, one year. The business of the road will not be interrupted by this casualty. The probably loss to the Company will be $50,000.--Traveller

Weekly Summary

   Arrest of Lottery Dealers. The Salem Register says that a seizure was made in that city last week, of articles to the value of three or four thousand dollars, which were up in a lottery. The articles were taken to the Police Court, and the person who kept the lottery has been bound over for trial. Some such example is needed in our own city to check the system of gambling by means of lotteries. Scarce a day passes in which we do not hear of a new lottery scheme, and, so common have they become, that in some portions of our city, those engaged in them do not attempt to disguise their doings, but hire public halls in which to hold their drawings. The evil effects which attend this species of gambling demand that our city authorities should take some measures for the enforcement of the laws applicable to these offences. -- Boston Journal

Singular Railroad Accident

One day last week, as the down train on the Portland, Saco, and Portsmouth Railroad, was about six miles from Portland, the axle of the forward car broke. The second car was thrown off the track, and the trucks broke, but the car was not much injured otherwise. The next car, which was full of passengers, was thrown off the track over a fence into a field, and turned completely round, end for end. Not one of the passengers was severely injured, though some were bruised and others badly frightened.--Traveller.

Small Pox

This loathsome disease and the varioloid are prevailing very extensively, says The New Haven Palladium, in various parts of New England. The present generation, of course, have less dread of it than their fathers, because we realize but faintly the desolation which if occasioned in times past, and because having a preventive, like the kine pock, we feel safe against its ravages. But this preventive is not sure in all cases, and it is certainly of no value when it is not used. In this city there have been three deaths from small pox within a month--all of them children--two Irish and one American--neither of whom had been protected by vaccination. We learn from the physicians that there is now less of the disease about than there has been, yet we have no assurance that there will not be more, if children are not freely vaccinated. This should be attended to, both in town and country.

Death of a Venerable Citizen

The Transcript mentions the death of John Bullard, Esq., for 44 years treasurer of Norfolk County, at the good old age of 79. He seemed in his usual health on Wednesday, sat down by the fire to warm himself, when he suddenly started up, fell, and died almost instantaneously.

Verdict for a Railroad Injury

A Mr. Nichols has just gained a verdict of $3,300 against the Auburn & Syracuse railroad as damages for an injury to Mrs. Nichols, by a collison which happened on the railroad between Auburn & Syracuse, nearly four years since. Mrs. N. was injured on the back part of her head, but at the time it was thought so slightly that nothing serious would result from it. Subsequently, however, it was found that she had sustained a severe injury, for very soon after the accident she became a raving maniac and has continued insane ever since.--New Haven Palladium


In this City, 21st ult, by Rev. Mr. BOURNE, Mr. Michael CASSIDY, to Miss Caroline, youngest daughter of Mr. Joshua WRIGHT, all of West Cambridge.

In Taunton, by Rev. Mr. MALTBY, Mr. Francis A. STACKPOLE, of Fairhaven to Miss Jane E., daughter of Jas. DREW, Esq. of New Bedford.

In Westford, in the Orthodox Church, Sabbath afternoon, 29th ult., by Rev. L. LUCE, Nathan B. EDWARDS, M. D., of North Chelmsford, to Miss Sibyl R. HUTCHINS, of Westford.

In Berlin, 25th ult, by Rev. W. A. HOUGHTON, Mr. Nathaniel S. BRIGHAM, of Northboro, to Miss Sarah L. THOMPSON, of Marlboro.

In Manchester, NH, by Rev. C. W. WALLACE, Mr. Levi H. CHASE, to Miss Cynthia E. BUNKER, both of M.

In Somers, CT, by Rev. Dr. VAILL, Mr. Robert PEASE, of Somers, to Mrs. Eliza B. TERRY, of Enfield.


In the City, 25th ult., Mrs. Sarah, wife of Hon. Thomas H. PERKINS, 83; 26th ult., Mr. Orrin MORSE, 40; 23d ult., Mr. John H. OSBORN, Jr., 37; 29th ult., Miss Clara H., eldest daughter of Mr. Levi BARTLETT; 29th ult., Mrs. Sarah Maria wife of Henry UPHAM, Esq., and daughter of Gideon SNOW, Esq.

In Dedham, 25th ult., Mr. John BULLARD, 79.--for the past forty-four years Treasurer of the County of Norfolk.

In Roxbury, 29th ult, Mrs. Sarah, wife of Mr. James HAMMETT, 22.

In Cambridge, suddenly, 28th ult., Mrs. MUNROE, relict of the late Dea. James MUNROE, 79.

In Salem, of apoplexy, Hon. Joseph E. SPRAGUE, 69; on Monday, 1st inst., Mrs. Mary C., wife of Capt. John H. EAGLESTON, 26 years 5 m

In Spencer, 5th ult., Mrs. Sarah L., wife of Mr. Sanford SNOW, 30.

In Williamstown, 8th ult., Mr. Amasa SHATTUCK, 73.

In Pelham, 13th ult., Mr. John Gray, 78. "Blessed are the dead, who die in the Lord."

In Ashfield, 25th ult., of consumption, Miss Lucy A. SEARS, 27.

In New Haven, CT., on the morning of the 24th ult., Mrs. Anna, relict of the late Wm. WALTER, 82; 24th ult., Mrs. Louisa E., wife of Mr. John J. JONES, 41.

In Saratoga Springs, NY, 25th ult., Mrs. Susannah P., widow of the late Wm. L. STONE, Esq., 50.

In Burlington, NJ, 26th ult., John GRISCOM, L. L. D., late of New York, one of the Vice Presidents of the American Bible Society, 78.

In Stockton, Jan. 30th, James H. ROGERS, M. D., formerly Professor of Materia Medica in Rutger's Medical Institute, New York, and late health officer of the port.


Mrs. Martha S. Perkins

   Died in Littleton, MA., Jan. 28th, Mrs. Martha S., wife of Capt. Plaisted H. Perkins, of Kennebunkport, ME, and daughter of Dea. James Kimball, of L., aged 26. As she was one of those who stay up the hands of ministers and missionaries, her name will justly be held in grateful remembrance.
   At the age of fifteen she united with her parents and others in the organization of the Orthodox Church in L., and highly adorned that profession till she died. At the Female Academy, Andover--as a Sabbath School scholar, of I. S. Everett--Missionary to the Armenians--and while attending school at Charlestown, she enjoyed precious privileges, and endeared herself to friends who now deeply mourn her. She was counted among the most faithful friends of the lamented Bryant, and her letters greatly cheered him and his companion while he was fading out--dying amid the darkness of Africa.
    She was married last spring, sailed with her husband to Mobile, (where many who mourn her death reside)--to Sweden and to England, where she visited the Crystal Palace and other objects of interest. Her trust in God and hope in Christ were beautifully illustrated by her composure during a storm at sea, which threatened to founder their bark and wrap them in a winding-sheet of waters. She arrived safe at Littleton, spoke with interest for a few days of the old world, for a few fleeting hours gazed on the babe which God gave her, then passed away, as we trust, to the heavens. The visions of earthly magnificence had scarcely become effaced from the mind, ere she opened her eyes on wonders more vast and scenes more congenial. Her flight was rapid, from the metropolis of the world to the capitol of the universe, from the Crystal Palace to the palace of the Eternal.
   Though we mourn her loss, we trust it was gain to her to die. With a cultivated mind and heart, pleasing manners, an even disposition, a taste for sacred music, affections which endeared her to all her friends, especially to her husband, of whom she ever spoke in the language of a grateful and loving heart, she might have been highly useful had she lived; but we would submissively bow to the divine decree, and say, "Thy will be done." The bereaved husband returned a few days since, from St. Thomas, where he stopped to repair his bark, and found that his wife and child lay together in the tomb.
   Died in Littleton, 7th Feb., Elizabeth Hill Perkins, infant child of the above, aged 16 days.
   Died in Littleton, Feb. 9th, Mr. John H., son of Dea. James Kimball, and brother to Mrs. Perkins, aged 38.
   All these died in one house in less than two weeks.

Mr. Joseph Hoar

Died in Chester, VT, Feb. 21st, Mr. Joseph Hoar, aged 84.--A native of Concord, MA. Bro. H. was a godly man; for more than fifty years he sustained the character of a sincere, devoted, and humble Christian. Of a family of thirteen children, all but one have given evidence of their attachment to their father's God "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints."

Messrs. Editors:--I am led by the impulse of love and gratitude, to offer a few remarks for your paper respecting my beloved sister, Mrs. Sarah Jewett, of Ashburnham, who lately died in Boston.

Mrs. Sarah Jewett

   It was seventy-three years ago, when I was four years old, and she fifteen, that she taught me to read. And this she did, while diligently engaged in domestic labors. From that time to her decease, she was a sister and more than a sister to me, though we had not the same mother.
   At a suitable age, she was happily married to Joseph Jewett, Esq., a young merchant in Ashburnham, who had been an officer in the Revolutionary war. She early became a professor of religion, and was a devout and active member of the Congregational Church in Ashburnham. She was highly esteened for her intelligence, her judgment, her active benevolence, and her uniform Christian deportment. She was so settled and strong in the belief of the truth, that no wind of doctrine and no arts of those who lie in wait to deceive, could shake her steadfastness. Once, when some erroneous declaimers were making a noise in the neighborhood, and were drawing multitudes to hear them, she as asked by some members of the church why she did not go to their meetings. Her prompt reply was,--"because I remember that Christ said, Go not after them."
   Her afflictions were many and severe. She was often visited with painful sickness. She was bereaved of three children, first a son, who was infirm from a child, and then two excellent daughters, Mrs. Mary Whiton, wife of Rev. Mr. Whiton, of North Yarmouth, ME., and Mrs. Sarah Hobart, wife of Mr. Albert Hobart, of Boston; and more recently of her beloved husband. Amid all her afflictions, who ever witnessed a more manifest submission and meekness than she exhibited, or a more Christian cheerfulness. Her house was a home for ministers of the Gospel. How many of them enjoyed her hospitality and her conversation. For a number of years past, she was accustomed to visit Boston on the anniversary week in May, and to attend the meetings of the various benevolent and pious societies--which she said were always interesting and refreshing to her, though she was passed the age of four score years. She died Feb. 23d, in the 89th yr of her age. Thanks be unto God for so long, useful and happy a life, and so peaceful a death. May such a life and such a death be a means of good to her three surviving sons, to her grandchildren, and her numerous relatives.
   Andover, Feb. 26, 1852     Leonard Woods

Moses L. Atkinson, M. D.

Died of consumption, in Lawrence, Jan. 18th, Moses L. Atkinson, M. D., aged 37. Born at Newburyport, where he spent his earlier life, he graduated with honor from Dartmouth College in 1838. After studying medicine with Dr. Bowditch, of Boston, from whom he ever received marks of high esteem and friendship, he began its practice in his native place, whence he removed to Lawrence, where he lived til his death. (This is too long to type so I am going to shorten it). Into the houses of the poor, he often brought not medicine only, but food and refined delicacies. With a dependent wife and infant children, the centre of a large and loving circle...

THURSDAY, APR. 1, 1852

A friend under date of Mar. 27th writes us as follows:-- The Rev. A. Rawson closes his ministerial services, the present month, with the Church and Society in Southborough, where his labors have been highly blessed for a period of ten years.

Mr. Edwin Leonard of Bangor, was ordained and installed pastor of the "Second Evangelical Church and Society," in Milton, on the 25th inst.

Rev. J. Howard Temple, who has been for the last seven years pastor of the First Church in Whately, was dismissed from his pastoral charge, on Wednesday, the 24th ult., by an Ecclesiastical Council convened for that purpose.

Rev. S. Hale Higgins, of this city, has been invited by the Howe street Congregational Church in New Haven, CT, to become their pastor.

An Ecclesiastical Council was held in Phillips Church, South Boston, and the request of Rev. J. W. Alvord for dismissal on account of ill health, was unanimously concurred in.

For more than a year the town of Hinsdale has been agitated about the removal of the First Congregational Church edifice, from the centre of town to the Factory Village, and during the time they have had no settled pastor. Recently the question was submitted to a reference, composed of the following gentlemen:-- Wm Porter and Samuel Gates of Lee, Timothy Phelps of Chesterfield, George J. Tucker of Lenox, James Church and Rev. Mr. Clark of Middlefield, and Rev. Mr. Crawford of N. Adams. They decided unanimously, that it is expedient to move the church, which has braved the storms of half a century, and it will therefore be permitted to remain upon its present site.

Embarkation of Missionaries. Rev. Isaac N. Hurd and his wife embarked on board the ship Loo Choo, lying at the end of Central Wharf, on Wednesday morning of last week, for a mission station of the American Board at a place in Hindostan--about 70 miles from Madras. Religious services were held on board by Rev. Rufus W. Clark, of the Maverick Church, East Boston.

Tremont Temple Destroyed. The Tremont Temple is burned to the ground. About 1 o'clock, on Wednesday morning, the Tremont Temple was discovered to be on fire. The fire spread with a terrible rapidity. The whole interior of the building was in flames before the fire department could do anything to arrest the progress of the fire. A Mr. Esty, of Charlestown was killed and six or eight persons wounded. The amount of property destroyed, we have not ascertained.

Milton Railway

   This is a village situated partly in Milton and partly in Quincy. The business of the inhabitants is quarrying and hewing stone known as the "Quincy Granite." This granite is in a range of hills about three miles back from the bay. In some parts it has an elevation of more than 600 feet. It contains an inexhaustable supply of granite, justly celebrated in all our cities for its durability and beauty. There are about twenty companies engaged in quarrying, who employ eight hundred hands. Pieces of granite have been obtained in these quarries weighing three hundred tons each, from which the columns of the Boston Custom House, were made. The first railroad built in the United States, was constructed from the quarries to the tide waters of the Neponset. It is three and a half miles in length, built in 1826. The village is delightfully situated on a plain, and contains from one to two hundred houses. A stone church was erected soon after the railway was built. It has been occupied by different denominations until about six years ago, when orthodox preaching was introduced, and a church organized. After an experiment of one year, the society refused to permit the church to enjoy orthodox preaching any longer. This infant church was exiled from the house, where it had expected to worship. But persecution gave this infant the strength and energy of a man. It worshipped for a limited time in a hall. At a sacrifice, this exiled society proceeded to erect a church. This enterprise they accomplished without foreign aid, or running into debt. Constant preaching has been maintained every since its erection.
   Rev. Edwin Leonard, late of the Bangor Seminary, was ordained over this church and society, on Thursday of last week. Rev. Dr. Storrs preached the sermon. Mr. Leonard has a wide door of usefulness before him and enters upon his labors under favorable auspices.

Rev. J. H. Temple, of Whately, requests that all communications to him may hereafter be directed to Framingham, MA.


In the City, 20th ult., by Rev. Edward N. KIRK, D. D., Jonathan TENNEY, M. A., Principal of Pittsfield English and Classical High School, to Miss Harriette Ackland, daughter of Calvin BACHELDER, M. D., of Taunton. In the Essex Street Church, by Rev. Dr. ADAMS, Mr. William F. LAWRENCE to Miss Temple Shaw, daughter of Geo. BLISH, Esq.; by Rev. Mr. KIRK, Rev. Leon PILATTE, or Paris, France to Miss Julia P. WHITEMORE.

In Milton, 17th ult., by Rev. A. K. TEELE, Mr. Nathan CROSSMAN, Jr. to Miss Mary A. BABCOCK, both of M.

In Middleboro, 25th ult., by Rev. Mr. THACHER, Mr. Harrison THRASHER, of Taunton, to Miss Betsey A. HARTWELL, of M.

In Stoneham, 23d ult., Mr. J. H. HOWARD to Mrs. Sarah HARTWELL, both of S.

In Marlboro, 26th inst., by Rev. Geo. DENHAM, Mr. David COBB to Mrs. Mary DEVLIN, both of M.

In East Hartford, CT, 23d ult., Mr. Edward P. CLARK, of Galena, IL, to Miss Eliza E. GOODWIN, daughter of Joseph GOODWIN, Esq., of East Hartford.

In Newcastle, NH, by Rev. L. ALDEN, Mr. William LEE, of the U. S. Army, to Miss Abigail MARTIN.


In this City, 26th ult., Geo. H. LORING, Esq., 45.

In Roxbury, 21st ult., Mrs. Marcella A., wife of Mr. Ezra CONANT, 27.

In Medford, 15th ult., Miss Abigail BAILEY, 66,--formerly of West Newbury.

In Pepperell, 14th ult., Miss Harriet M. TUCKER, 20,--She died in the hope of a blessed immortality.

In Hartford, CT, 25th ult., Mr. Harley COWLES, late of Meriden, 34; 23d ult., Mrs. Sally BEACH, 67.

In Mauch Chunk, PA., 23d ult., Mr. Benj. L. CUTTER, 23-1/2,--eldest son of Dr. B. CUTTER, Woburn, MA.

Miss Mabel Cushing

Died in Portsmouth, OH, 10th ult., Miss Mabel Cushing, 50. She was a native of Chesterfield, MA, and a sister of the late Rev. David Cushing. She early devoted herself to Christ, and in His service to the instruction of youth. She was religious from principle, and carried her religion to the school room, as well as to the church; and while she inspired her pupils with the love of knowledge, as the road to usefulness, she pointed them to the Cross of Christ as the door of Heaven. She possessed some property which she gave to the cause of her Savior, into whose hands she commended her departing spirit; and having lived in active piety she died in holy peace. Her last words were, "I am almost home; Christ it my all, my support, my joy, my life."


Consecration of Mount Hope Cemetery

A new cemetery with the above name, situated in Dorchester and West Roxbury, was consecrated on Thursday of last week. The enclosure consecrated contains eighty-five acres. It has a variety of hills and vallies, woods and open lawns. Five hundred lots have already been taken.

Eccleasiastical & Ministerial

Rev. Martyn Tupper, late of Lanesboro, was installed, on Wednesday, June 23, over the Evangelical Congregational Church in Hardwick. Twenty-four years before, Mr. Tupper was ordained pastor of this flock, and for seven years continued with them, when his dismission took place.

The Rev. Joseph L. Bennett, late of Missouri, is to be installed pastor of the church in East Cambridge, today (Thursday).

Rev. Josiah L. Maynard, will be installed at East Douglas, on Wednesday, July 7th. Rev. Dr. Bond of Norwich, CT is to preach on the occasion.

After a faithful ministry of about forty-six years, the Rev. Abraham Bodwell was dismissed by his own request, from the labors of the pastoral office, in Sanbornton, NH, June 24th. It was gratifying to see that those for whom he had so long labored, did not abandon him in his old age to want.

Rev. James Boutwell was installed the same day as his successor, according to the unanimous wish of the Church and Society.

On Thursday, 10th inst., Rev. D. B. Bradford, late of Hubbardston, MA, was installed pastor of the church in Plainfield.

   Unfortunate Affair. The wife of Dr. Hillman, of Williamsburg, MA, disappeared on the night of the 6th inst., and it was subsequently ascertained that she had eloped with [torn] "Jack Vining". Vining left before, on pretence of going to Washington, to secure a patent for a machine establishing perpetual motion. They were seen at Deerfield and Greenfield, the woman dressed in male attire, and posing as the servant of Vining.
   They are believers in "Spiritual Rappings," and the woman had probably become "bedeviled" with this mental hallucination. It is stated that a few days previous to her departure she said that she had a great work to perform, which she must do, and that her friends would think strange of it when they knew what it was. She has left behind three children, one of whom in only two or three years of age. She has heretofore sustained a good character, and was apparently happy in her marriage relation. Mr. Hillman is a man of high respectability, and feels very keenly this base desertion of the partner of his choice, and the mother of his children. This Vining and a brother have been considerably notorious in "spiritual rapping" operations in Williamsburg.--Northampton Gazette.

Singular and Beautiful Phenomenon--A Rainbow at Night. Towards nine o'clock in the evening, a very severe thunder shower sprung up from the westward, which continued for nearly an hour, exhibiting a beautiful but startling effulgence. The lightning was almost incessant, and of every variety of form and hue. At ten o'clock the cloud had passed over to the eastward, and the moon shed its silvery light upon the glittering rain drops. Just then was presented one of the most unusual and strikingly beautiful of meteorological phenomena, a lunar rainbow. On the dark surface of the receding cloud was most distinctly delineated a silvery arch, as perfect in its proportions and complete as ever was formed by reflection of the noon-day sun. For nearly ten minutes were were favored with this extraordinary vision, and then it vanished forever from our admiring gaze. Corres. N. Y. Jour. of Comm. at Amherst, 23d ult.

(Someone cut out the marriages from this paper, but the deaths are still there)


In Brookline, 16th ult., George Asa, youngest son of Albert W. & Lucy Jane SMITH, 2y7m18d.

In Northbridge, 19th, Mr. Daniel Day, 56.

In Carver, May 20th, Elizabeth Ward, 1y6m.; May 22d, Wid. Hannah Waterman,74; 6th ult., Lucy F. Cole, 1y5m; 13th ult., Wid. Polly Freeman, 64; 18th ult., Jerusha P. Cobb, 7.

In Taunton, 9th ult., William Reed, son of Rev. S. Hopkins and Julia R.Emery, 13 y 5d

In Danvers, Mrs. Nelly W., wife of Sylvester Osborn.

In Danversport, 19th ult., Miss Mehitable Howard, 84.

In Newburyport, 23d ult., Miss Mary Ann, daughter of Mr. Amos Pearson 2nd, 28.

In Derry, NH, 10th ult., Mrs. Mehitabel K., wife of the late Rev. Edward L. Parker, 70.

In New York, 20th ult., Mrs. Louisa, widow of the late Hon. Isaiah L. Green, of Barnstable, MA, 78.


Died in Scituate, on Friday evening, Apr. 30th, Mrs. Abby Frances, wife of Mr. Joseph Seagraves, and daughter of Mr. Jerry and Mary Fenner, 28. The deceased for several years had been the subject of declining health, which she bore with patience and resignation to the Divine will. During her protracted affliction, she felt very great difficulty in giving up, and much pain at the thought of having to leave her husband, her child (a son), her widowed mother, and two sisters; yet towards the close of life, she was enabled through grace to resign all into the hands of God.