From the "Records of Massachusetts," we find that, on petition of "Mr. Bradstreete, Mr. Dudley Jr., Capt. Dennison, Mr. Clarke of Newbury, Mr. Woodbridge, Mr. Battye (Batt), Mr. Batter, Mr. Winsley, Hen: Bilye, Giles Firman, Richard Kent, and John Sanders," permission "to begin a plantation at Merrimack" was granted them, Sept. 6, 1638, with power to add to their number. The plantation was named "Colechester," Sept. 4, 1639; name changed to "Salsbury," Oct. 7, 1640.
On the Salisbury records is found the following entry:
The last clause strictly means October, 1639, though October of the next year may have been intended. The date of the "first division" of land is not given; but there are grants to four persons dated 1639, and many are dated 1640. The "first division" was therefore, in 1639, though some subsequent ones may have been recorded among the "first." The time of recording the grants, in their present form, is indicated by the vote, April 14, 1643, that all grants of land given by the "Towne of Salsbery" shall be recorded in the new book by the last of June next, allowing the clerk a penny for every grant so recorded, and 6d for the copy of every man's particular grants, together.
"1639, the third month."At a meeting at merrimack of Mr Simone Bradstreet, Mr Samuell Dudly, Mr Danniell Dennisonn, Christopher Batt, Samuell Winsley, John Sanders:
"It was ordered that there shall be 2 divisions of Meadow, the one nerrer, the other farther, the nerrest shall haue fower Acres to Each 100h(�), the other left to farther Consideration.
"It was further ordered that vpland for planting lotts shall be divided so as he that hath vnder 50h shall haue 4 Acres, and he that hath aboue 50h to 150h shall haue 6 Acres, and all aboue shall haue 4 Acres to Euerie 100h.
"Allso, it was ordered that all lotts granted to singlemen are on Conditon that they shall inhabit here before the 6 of may next, and such as haue families that they shall inhabitt here before the last of october next."
The following is a copy of a paper found in the Massachusetts archives, Boston, without date, but indexed under 1639. The use of the name "Colchester" places the date of the original record between September, 1639, and October, 1640, unless the new settlement used the name before it was authorized by the General Court. The Salisbury records have the name "Merrimack" in May, 1639. The Boston copy must have been made after October, 1640, as it uses the name "Salisbury":
"The names of those yt have lotts & proportions granted pr the Toune of Colchester in the first divisionIt is difficult to reconcile the above list with the following taken from the Salisbury records. On the Salisbury records, Carr, Morrill, Macy, Fitts, wid. Christian Brown, and perhaps Rowell, are not mentioned as participating in the "first division,"3 though they all received land in 1640, and Macy in 1639. On the other hand, Allen, John Bayly, Jr., Barnard, Barnes, Buswell, Carter, Clough, Dickison,French, Goodale, Greenlead, S. Hall, Hoyt, Ilsley, Ladd, Moyce, North, Parker, Partridge, and Wells are all given on the Salisbury records as receiving land in the "first division." John Clifford appears on the earlier list of thirty-seven, but not on the later list of sixty-nine. Lewis Hulett does not appear on either list, though Merrill assigns him a house lot in 1639, and his name appears later.
"This is A true copie of the originall list taken out of the old book of Reccords for Salisbury as Attests.2
Mr. Sam: Dudley
Mr Willj Hooke
Mr Willj Worcester
Mr Christopher Batt
Mr Sam: Winsley
Mr Henry Biley
Mr Francis Doue
Mr Tho: Dummer
Mr Henry Monday
Mr Tho. Bradbury
Mr John Hodges
John Bayly Sen
"Vera copia Atest THO. BRADBURY rec.
EDWARD RAWSON Secrety"
There is, perhaps, a geographical significance in the Boston list of thirty-seven. By referring to Merrill's map, History of Amesbury, it will be seen that all these lots were located on the "circular road," except those of Fuller, Macy, Rowell, and Brown. The list looks as if Fitts, Rowell, and Brown were added later, and wid. Brown may have first had the lot of her son Henry Brown on the "circular road." Macy's lot is given on the "road to the neck." This leaves only Fuller's lot on the straight piece of "beach road," and that lot is represented as lying some distance to the north of the road. It seems probable that the first lots laid out were all on the "circular road," except, perhaps, those of Fuller and Macy, and they either located away from others, or afterwards exchanged lots for those represented on the map. Later, in the same year, perhaps, the straight "beach road" connecting the two branches of the "circular road" was laid out, and most of the new comers were located on that road. The exceptions were John Bayly, Jr., who located next to his father, I. Buswell (probably not W. Buswell, as Merrill gives it,), and Ladd on the "circular road;" French, Partridge and Wells on the "road to the neck," with Macy. All the above, over fifty persons, who probably recived lots within a few weeks or months of each other, were placed on the new Salisbury book in 1643 as having part in the "first division."
The following is an exact copy of the original entries on the first leaf of one of the town's books of ancient records. It is evidently designed for an index to the records of land grants, the numbers referring to the pages where such grants are recorded, one page being originally assigned to each person. The marks of reference and note are added by us.
FIRST SETTLERS OF SALISBURY
Mr: Sam: Dudly
Mr: Willi Worcester
Mr: Francis Doue
Mr: Henry Bile
John Eaton sen:
John Bayly Sen
Mr: Sam: Hall
Mr: Willi: Hooke
Mr: John Hall
Mr: Sam: Winslei
Mr: Christopher Batt
Mr: Tho: Dumer
Mr: Henry Munday
John Bayly Jun
John Ayres Sen:
NOTE: Nearly all of these received lots in the "first division," and all owned land in Salisbury previous to 1643. John Clifford and Lewis Hulett should be added, making 71 persons.
The following extract is also copied from the Salisbury records:
SALISBURY COMMONERS, 1650
"3d (12th) mo
Also att ye same meeting it was ordered yt all whose names are here under written, shalbe accompted townesmen & Comoners, & none butt them, to this prsent, that is to say:
Mr. Willi Worcester
Mr Christopher Batt
Mr Francis Doue
Mr Saml: Winsley
Mr Saml: Hall
Mr Georg Carr
Rich: Goodale Jvn
Mr Saml: Groom
Mr Henry Monde
Mr Willi: Hooke
Jno Bayly Sen
SALISBURY RATE, 1650.
"Mr Wosters rate for 30ls: the 25: of December 1650
� s d � � s d John Bayly 12 6 � Rich: Currier 4 6 Willi: Huntington 3 5 � Georg Martyn 3 6 Jarret Haddon 6 10 � Jno: Hoyt 6 6 Tho: Rowell 6 8 � Antony Colby 13 2 Josiah Cobham 8 5 � Will: Osgood 14 8 Will: Sargent 7 4 � Jno: Clough 9 5 Phillip Challis 7 6 � Rodg: Eastman 8 3 Jno. Weed 4 6 � Jno. Dickison 8 4 Valentine Rowell 4 6 � Henry Brown 7 4 Tho. Barnett 5 10 � Willi: Allin 11 6 Tho. Macy 15 8 � Georg Carr 16 6 Tho. Carter 8 6 � Rich: Wells 0 10 0 Sam: Hall 17 2 � Nathll: Winsley 0 4 11 Robt. Ring 1 11 � Sam: Winsley 0 4 9 Robt. Pike 10 8 � Mr. Tho: Bradbury 0 13 4 Jno: Cole 8 6 � Isaac Buswell 0 10 6 Willi: Partridg 10 0 � Wm. Buswell 0 7 0 Willi: Barnes 12 6 � Sam: Buswell 0 6 0 Georg Golduyer 18 3 � Jno: Severans 0 8 2 Jno. Eaton 7 8 � Jno: Gill 0 06 5 Jno: Rolf 1 00 5 � Sam: Getchell 4 6 Mr. Moodey (Mondey) 1 9 4 � Sam: Felloes 9 0 Abraha Morrill 0 19 2 � Rich Singletary 7 6 Rich: North 0 10 4 � Steven Flanders 3 9 Rich: Goodale 0 14 0 � Bell Willix 4 7 Edward French 1 2 0 � Jno: Stevens 11 5 Joseph Moys 00 4 0 � Rob: Fitts 11 3 Mr. Hooke 0 10 1 � Widdow Sadler 2 8 Jno: Illsley 0 11 10 � Mr. Batt 1 03 0 Andrew Greely 0 6 0 � He(nry) Blasdall 6 10" Mr. Sam: Winsley 0 11 0 �
SALISBURY RATE, 1652
"A rate made 18th 5th mo. 52 for his halfe year due 24:4:mo
� s d � � s d Edward French 1 00 04 � Willi: Osgood 0 17 04 Leift: Pike 1 10 00 � Willi: Allin 0 12 03 Georg Goldwyer 0 15 03 � Henry Brown 0 6 09 Jno: Eaton 0 4 7 � Thomas Carter 0 05 10 Wm: Partridg 0 19 8 � Mr. Hall 1 02 02 Jno: Rolfe 0 17 3 � Mr. Hooke 0 03 04 Mr. Monday 1 03 08 � Rich: Goodale Senr 0 10 02 Jno. Ilsly 0 08 05 � Rich: Goodale Jr. 0 03 07 Andrew Greely 0 07 03 � Rich: North 0 07 11 Josiah Cobham 0 12 00 � Rich: Ormsby 0 12 06 Sam: Winsley Senr 0 09 00 � Mr. Carr 0 15 07 Isaac Buswell 0 11 00 � Mr. Coffyn 0 12 01 Willi: Buswell 0 7 08 � Jno: Coles 0 04 10 Mr. Bradbury 0 17 06 � Mr. Rusels 0 01 06 Jno: Severans 0 12 11 � Sam: Winsley Senr (Jr) 0 05 04 Jno: Gill 0 06 06 � Nathll Winsley 0 03 08 Sam: Felloes 0 07 07 � Barnabas Lams(on) 0 02 06 Sam: Buswell 0 06 06 � Joseph French 0 04 04 Rich: Wells 0 07 08 � Robert Ring 0 04 09 Rodg: Eastman 0 06 10 � Tho: Rolenson 0 02 10 Jno: Stevens 0 06 09 � Widow Hawxworth 0 04 06 Robt. Fitts 0 09 07 � Jo: Moys 0 04 06 Jno. Clough 0 12 02 � Edmond Elliot 0 02 06 Jno. Dickson 0 08 07 � Jno: Wheler 0 01 06 Sam: Getchell 0 03 05 � Jno: Bayly 0 01 06 Steven Flanders 0 02 11 � Jno: Maxfeild 0 02 06 Willi: Brown 0 05 00 � Sum 23 01 10"
On the Amesbury records we find, dated March 19, 1654-5, the following list of the "present inhabitanc and comenors heare in the new towne."
FIRST SETTLERS OF AMESBURY
After the above date, but previous to 1663, the following individuals also received grants of land: Joseph Peasly, James George, Nathan Gold, Samuel Foot, Walter Tayler, Robert Quinby, Edmund Elliot, Samuel Colby, William Osgood, and John Hoyt, Jr.
On a petition of the inhabitants of Salisbury new town, May 9, 1658 (Court files, Boston), we find seventeen names, the same that were given in 1654-5, except that John Bayly and Orlando Bagly are omitted, and Nathan Gould is added.
SIGNATURES TO ARTICLES OF AGREEMENT
Between the Inhabitants of the Old Town and those of the New Town MAY 1, 16548
George Martyn9 (M),
Tho: Carter9 (T),
Willi: Osgood9 (WO),
Jno Ralfe9 (R),
Jno Hoyt9 (H),
Sam Winsley, Sinyr
DIVISION OF LAND, SALISBURY, 1654
Mr. Tho: Bradbury
Rich: Goodale Senr
Rich: Goodale Jun
Mr: Sam: Winsley
Sixty names, the same as the above, omitting Abraham Fitts and John French, are found when the town divided the mowing of beach lots, March, 1653-4. The above spelling is mainly that of the beach lot list.
Seventy-six names appear on the "Contry Rate" in 1659, including, besides most of those previously given, the following:
ADDITONAL NAMES, SALISBURY, 1659
Jno. Hoyt Jr.
On lists of lots in Salisbury in 1661 are the following names of persons who were then probably dead or non-resident: Henry Ambros, John Ayer Sen., Christopher Batt, Josiah Cobham, Francis Doue, Mr. Dumer, Enoch Greenleaf, Goodman Harrison, John Hodges, Lewis Hulet, Joseph Parker, Daniel Peirce, and perhaps others. The case of Robert Ring against the town of Salisbury, involving the rights of non-resident commoners, was then pending in the courts.
In the Massachusetts archives are found two petitions about church matters, both dated May 19, 1658, on which appear the following names of inhabitants of Salisbury:
SALISBURY PETITIONS OF 1658
Richard Goodale Sen
Samuel Hall sold to the town of Salisbury, in 1657, his farm of 100 acres, "lying towards Hampton," which he bought of Samuel Dudley. On the Salisbury records, under date of 1665-6, and on the files of the Supreme Court, Boston, under date of 1674, we find lists of
PURCHASE OF MR. HALL'S FARM
"Names of those that paid ye purchase of Mr. Hall's farm, with
each man's proportion," and "The no. of the lots in
Mr. Hall's farm belonging to each person."
Lot No. Lot No. 48
Tho: Bradbury Jun
Rich: Goodale Sen
Rich: Goodale jun
Danll: Peirce Sen
Lt. Robert Pike
Jno: Stevens Jun
There are two lists, the first containing 53 names, with the tax of each person; the second, 48 names, with the number of each person's lot. The order of names in the two is entirely different, except that Mr. Worcester heads both lists. The two are here combined, and the arrangement made alphabetic. Where the spelling of the two differs, the first, or tax list is followed. On the second, or lot list, are "John Coles," "old Moys," "Capt. Pike," "Mr. Stanian," and Samll: Winsley." The names "Capt. Pike" and "Widow Morrill" imply that the second list was written at a later date than the first. Abraham Morrill died in 1662, and his widow married Thomas Mudgett in 1665.
According to the agreement of 1654, the new town was to be formally separated from the old when it could secure and maintain a minister. Unsuccessful efforts were made in 1660 to obtain Mr. Shubael Dummer, and in 1665 to obtain Mr. Showell, Mr. Woodbridge, and Capt. Robert Pike, to serve the new town as minister. In 1666 the new town the new town was incorporated by the General Court. The town voted to adopt the name Amesbury in 1667, and the name was confirmed by the General Court in 1668. Mr. Benjamin Woodbridge served as minister for two or three years, 1666-69. Mr. Hubberd, or Hoberd, of Kittery, was minister, 1669-72. Rev. Thomas Wells, the first settled pastor, began his pastorate of sixty-two years in 1672 or'3.
SEPARATION OF AMESBURY FROM SALISBURY
Between 1654 and the formal separation, the two towns were distinct in matters pertaining to land, and some other town affairs; but the inhabitants of Amesbury were expected to attend divine service in the old town, and support its minister. This they often declined to do, and held meetings of their own, under the lead of Peasley, Macy, and others, for which they were fined.
Feb. 18, 1667-8, four sets of lots, 25 in each set, were drawn by the following persons:
AMESBURY COMMONERS IN 1667-8
Thomas Barnard, Sen.
Thomas Barnard, Jr.
Lt. Philip Challis
John Hoyt, Sen
John Hoyt, Jr.
Salisbury seems to have had about twice as many inhabitants as Amesbury, soon after the formal separation, say in 1670.
All the men in the above list of commoners:
Amesbury Meeting-house Seats, July, 1667
Forty-two seats, as given by Merrill, and probably a few more, including all the principal men and a few women.
The list of thirty-six "voters and commoners" at the incorporation of Amesbury in 1666, as given in Merrill's History, is evidently intended to include all who had been voters from 1654 to 1666. Isaac Colby should perhaps be included, as he had not then removed to Haverhill. Samuel Colby was probably a resident of Haverhill in 1666. Anthony Colby had been dead six years, and his widow was the "Goody Whitteridge" mentioned among the lot-owners. Thomas Macy removed to Nantucket in 1659. Valentine Rowell died in 1662, and his widow is named among the lot-owners. Joseph Peasley Sen. died in 1660. Joseph Peasley Jr. was not of age in 1666. He was granted a "township" in Amesbury in 1660, but lived in Haverhill after he became of age. Thomas Currier was hardly of age, but was granted a "township" in 1666. The name Orlando Bagley does not appear on the list of seats or lots; nor have we seen it, on any original document, save one, as of Amesbury, prior to 1677. Probably Orlando then took the oath of allegiance. John Bailey Sen. died in 1651, and his son John Jr. was a resident of Newbury in 1666. It is doubtful whether George Carr Jr. was a "voter and commoner" in Amesbury in 1666, though he was in 1670, or earlier. Thomas Haynes received grants of land in Amesbury in 1661, '66, and '75, and took the oath there in 1677, but his name is not on Merrill's list of "thirty-sex," nor on the above lists of commoners and meeting-house seats.
The absence of Walter Taylor's name from the above lists of commoners and meeting-house seats is noticeable. He was made a "commoner" in 1659, received land in Amesbury in that year and in 1662, and was probably of Amesbury in 1680 and at his death, in 1686-7. His name appears somewhat frequently on the court records for "using cursing speeches" and other offences. He may have pursuied his calling as a "shipwright" in various places. Edward Goodwin and William Hackett were granted common rights, and John Nash (Nash) and Thomas Nicholas were made townsmen in Amesbury in 1667, and are properly excluded from Merrill's list of "thirty-six."
In the Massachusetts archives, Boston, is found a petition of "members of the church and inhabitants of the town of Salisbury," which contains the following names:
SALISBURY PETITION, 1677
"Householders" of Salisbury
William Allen Sen
John Clough Sen
John Clough Jr
Steven Flanders Sen.
Steven Flanders Jur
William Osgood Senr
"Brethren of ye Church."
NOTE. We have made the order of names of householders alphabetic, for convenience of reference. Thomas "Mugget" heads the original. The church members are given in the original order. The first five were old men living in Amesbury; the other seven lived in Salisbury.
OATH OF ALLEGIANCE, EAMSBERY,
Dec. 20, 1677. Old Norfolk Co. Records, Salem
Jno: Hoyt Jvn:
Jno: Weed S:
John Weed: I:
OATH OF ALLEGIANCE AND FIDELITY, SALISBURY,
Dec., 1677--May, 1678. Old Norfolk Co. Records, Salem.
William Allin jun
Mr William Bradbury
Henry Brown jun
Isaac Buswell jun
Mr Georg Carr Jun
John Clough Jun
Samll: Fellowes Jun
John French Jun
Joseph French J:
Andrew Grele Jun
Mr Willi: Hooke
Robt Pike jun
Mr Jno: Stockman
In the Massachusetts archivesis a petition respecting Norfolk County, on which appear the following names:
NORFOLK COUNTY PETITION OF 1680.
William: Allen: Ser
Henry Browne Senr
John Clough Senr
John Clough: Jun
John Eaton Senr;
John Eaton Jur
Steven Flanders: Senr:
Samll Fowler Senr
Samll Gatchell: Senr:
Willm Osgood Senr
Robertt Pike Junr
John Steuens Senr
John Stevens J:
George Carre Juner
John Hoyt Sen:
John Hoyt Junr
Will: Osgood Senr
John Weed Senr
Will Osgood Sen. appears on both lists. John Jameson (Gimson) seems to have been living in Amesbury in 1680, but his name here appears to be with Salisbury men.
AMESBURY TRAINING BAND
The Amesbury "Training band," being without "an officer to conduct & instruct them in military exercises," the following persons signed a petition that "our well respected and esteen Friend Samll Foot, our late Sergeant & chieffe officer," "be or Lieftena'tt." They state that they consider him the most suitable person for the place, as they "have experienced or observed his faculty in Military discipline."
Petition to the General Court, May, 1680
"Philip Watson Challis, Freeman
Will Barns, Freeman
Richrd Currier, Freeman
Gerhard Hadden, Freeman
John Hoyt Senr, Freeman
Thos. Wells, Freeman
John Weed Senr
John Hoyt Junr
Henry Blaisdell Senr
Apprtaining to the
souldierye of ye
Dat: Amsbury: 10:
3: mo: 1680
"We do empower leftent. Georg. Browne to deliver this to the Cort and to prosecute
"Selectmen of the towne of Amesbury"
NOTE: The petition, p. 23 [Amesbury Training Band above], is from Hist. Gen. Reg., 1864, p. 76. The spelling has been changed in a few cases, only, where there are evidently errors in copying or printing that might prevent the recognition of the names.
The "Freemen," except Rev. Thomas Wells, were original settlers of both Salisbury and Amesbury, now old men, and doubtless "free" from training. Challis had been Lieutenant of the Salisbury company, and was appointed Lieutenant of the Amesbury company in June, 1680. John Hoyt, Sen., had been Sergeant.
AMESBURY SNOW-SHOE MEN OF 1708
"Almsburey desember ye 23! 1708!
Colanall Thomas noyes Sir in obedance to your warant baring dat ye 6! of this enstant desembere we have taken a vew of our armes amonison and snow hose (shoes) magsons and find them genralye well fixed sir I am your honars most humbl sarvt.
THO: HARVEY Capt:
"Ye snoshoe men of Almsbury
Tho. Colbey; iunr [junr]
( ) Stevens
Tho: Colbey: senr
Isaac Colbey: iunr [junr]
From N. E. Hist. Gen. Reg. 1896, p. 341.
LETTER WRITTEN IN 1706
Relating to Indian Massacre in Amesbury.19
"Capt True Salesbury
"Sr about one of the clock the Indions killd natt wees (Weed's) wife and 3 children one of them dead the other 2 mortalley wounded att the same time Robrt Hoyts wife killd a child missing and a boy of thoms hoyts killd John Ash killd. barnes prounce missing we fear killd all att one time as neer as wee Judg
JOHN WADLEIGH Capt
"Sr pray send a party of men I think It a good way to go out this knight we think to be 30 Indions"
The sheet, about 7 1/2 by 6 inches, is folded to 3 by 1 1/2 inches, with this written upon the outside:
"Hast to Cap True"
"A List of ye men imprest for her majesties seruice July ye 5th 1710 it being one half of ye Company of malitia of Salisbury in the field:
SALISBURY SOLDIERS IN 1710
"Corpll Hen True
John Steuens Jr
Jerimy Quinby X
Nathll Osgood X
Willm Clarke X
John yong X
Hen yong X
Ed French Ji
Danll gill X
Ed French Sr
Sefrus Page (Onesiphorus)
an order to Lt: Steuens
or to Sergnt Bradbury
to giue notice to ye men
to march forthwith wth
Capt Eaton: by order of Colo
the aboue..to go
with Capt Eaton
by order of Colo noyes
october 17th: 1710
"To Sergnt Tho Bradbury of Salisbury this is to desier & Impouer you to take the Care & Conduct of ye men aboue named & forthwith according to order to march them to Exeter to reli... the distressed who are at this time in danger by ye Enimy & be very Kerfull of your self & men in your march giuen vnder my hand in Salisbury this fifth day of July in ye Eight yere of her miesstes reign Annoque Domini 1710
HENRY TRUE Cap"
Upon the back of the original paper, which as been preserved by the True family, is written:
"The men that went to Exeter 1710 July 5th."
Footnotes It will be seen that, of the twelve original petitioners and grantees, only five (Dudley, Batt, Winsley, Biley, and Sanders) received land and settled in Salisbury. Four of the twelve, Simon Bradstreet, Rev. Samuel Dudley, Daniel Denison, and Rev. John Woodbridge, belonged to the family of Gov. Thomas Dudley. Three of the others, Christopher Batt, Edmund Batter, and Henry Biley, were closely related, and all three came from Salisbury, Eng. Batter lived in Salem, Mass. Rev. Samuel Dudley afterwards married a sister of Henry Biley. Dr. Johnn Clark, Rev. John Woodbridge, and Richard Kent, lived in Newbury, at that time. Giles Firman was of Boston, Ipswich, and Haverhill, returned to England about 1644, a physician and clergyman. Five or more of the twelve were from Wiltshire, Eng.--(N.E. Hist. Gen. Reg., 1866 and 1871.) Return
 It is worthy of note that nearly one-third of the above received the title Mr. A letter or symbol of some kind is prefixed to "Jno Fullar." Return
 They all, doubtless, received land in the "first division," but may have failed to pay for recording their grants in the "new book." Return
 Written Bylie and Codham on the pages referred to. Return
 In the Hist. Gen. Register, Jan., 1849, p. 56, these three were marked as "disallowed for being townsmen and Comoners." The "Rates" for 1650 and 1652 are from that number of the Hist. Gen. Register. Return
 This name is added with different ink. Return
 The name of Orlando Bagly is on the original "Macy book," but not on the official records, nor on any list of land grants. Return
 The date, March 14, 1654, is also given. Return
 Those thus designated made their marks, or initial letters. The others are apparently signatures on the original document, in the Masssachusetts archives, Boston. The names are there appended without any attempt at definite arrangement. The name of Tho. Bradbury stands first. We have arranged the names alphabetically. We fail to find among the signatures the names of the following: George Carr, John Clough, Josiah Cobham, John Cole, John Dickison, Edmund Elliot, John Gill, Andrew Greely, John Ilsley, Abraham Morrill, Robert Pike, Thomas Rowlandson, Dea. Richard Wells, Rev. William Worcester, and some younger men, all of whom we suppose to have been residents at that time, though three or four of them may possibly have been residing elsewhere in 1654. Samuel Hall was probably in England at that time. The Amesbury commoners all signed, except Orlando Bagly and John Colby, the latter a young man, whose father signed. Return
 Names on both petitions. Return
 Tho. Bradbury Jun. and Jno. Stevens Jr. are connected by a brace, with a joint tax of 0=08=10. As Mr. Bradbury immediately precedes them, perhaps the brace should connect the two Bradburys, with, a joint tax of 3=01=6. Return
 Perhaps Rev. Jeremiah Hobart, or Hubbard, b. ab. 1630 or '32, who grad. H. C. [Harvard College] 1650, was called from Lynn to Wells in 1667, but remained there only a few months. He was the son of Rev. Peter Hobart of Hingham, and brother of Rev. Joshua Hobart. Rev. Jer. Hobart was ordained and settled in Topsfield, Mass., Oct., 1672; settled in Hempstead, L. I., in 1683, and in Haddam, Ct., in 1691. He d. in 1715. Return
 As early as 1642, the town of Salisbury ordered that thirty families should remove to the west side of the Powow river (Amesbury) before May, 1645. In 1649, the inhabitants of the new town were unsuccessful in their petition to the General Court for "exemption from rates to the ministry of the old town," that they might sustain the ministry among themselves; and in 1658 they were again refused when they petitioned that they might be a distinct town. Return
 Supreme Court files, Boston, and Amesbury records. There were a few other owners of land in Amesbury at that time, as will appear from the preceding and following paragraphs. John Bailey, Samuel Colby, Thomas Haynes, Thomas Macy, Joseph Peasley, and Walter Taylor had owned land in Amesbury, and some of them probably still retained ownership, even if non-resident. Thomas Currier, John Nash (Ash), William Hackett, and most of the young men named on the list of meeting-house seats, either owned land and town rights in 1667, or acquired them soon after that date.
Persons might own land, obtained by purchase, without being "commoners." The "commoners" were the owners of all common or undivided land, and entitled to shares in any new division of that land. This point seems to have been involved in the suit of Robert Ring against the town of Salisbury. The term "townsman" seems to have meant a legally recognized inhabitant, entitled to participate in town affairs. He was generally a "commoner," also. "Township" was sometimes used in Amesbury to indicate prospective rights. Fathers were granted "townships" for their minor sons, and for their daughters, if they had no sons, thus conferring rights on the future husbands of those daughters. Return
 John Colby's name does not appear in Merrill's list of meeting-house seats, History of Amesbury; but he is probably one of the "few more," lost by the defacing of the original record. Return
 It must be remembered that the absence of a name in the case of a petition proves nothing, except that the person did not sign. In tax lists the case is different, though errors and omissions are common, even there. Return
 Benj. Allen "not a householder, but free and pays rates." Return
 The spelling of the names has been retained, but the order has been changed, to make the arragement alphabetic. Return
 An imperfect copy of this letter was published by the compiler of this volume in the Amesbury Villager, Jan. 26, 1882. Since that time he has received the original from P. A. True, Salisbury. The only important error in the Villager copy is that Barnes Prowse is there incorrectly printed. Pike's Journal gives a brief account of the same massacre. Return
SOURCE: The Old Families of Salisbury and Amesbury, David W. Hoyt, Vol. I, 1897; pages 7-26
Retyped and reformatted by Kathy Leigh, April 15, 2002.
Return to Index