EAST LINE OF SPRINGFIELD.--ESTABLISHED 1685.--PERAMBULATED IN 1735.--MARK FERRY'S 5TH DIV.--LOCATION PROVED
As a public highway in present use, the Bay Path is discontinued not far to the east of North Wilbraham Village.
From there the path passed around the north end of Wilbraham mountains to Twelve-mile Brook, which it crossed near the head of a small pond that was made to furnish the power for some mills there. From the brook the course was easterly, over where now are cultivated fields; a distance of about a half of a mile to record No. 4, where the path was identified in 1685 and 1735 as The Bay Path, as follows:
"March 23d 1684-5. The Committee appointed by the Town of Springfield for setting the or Bounds & Grant from the honored Genl Corte went out Eastward First to take our most Easterly Bounds at Stoney Brooke to take a Convenient Place for running a straite line North & South, we quickly found the Brooke there (Comonly called Stony Brook) to Park & become two brookes or to be two streames, & being on the Easterly or Northly side of it, & finding that part the biggest stream & Properly Stony Brooke we followed it a little way up, & then finding it to turne away Eastward (though or Grant by ye honord Genll Corte was from the Brooke, yet because it turned unexpectedly & Run East) here we Came to a stand: And at this place (about forty or fifty Rods Eastward from where the Brooke Parts) upon a knap or rising Ground by the side of Stony Brooke we pitched or East Bounds, & to run a strait Lyne South & North, & up on that knap Hil or Rising ground by Stony Brooke side, then standing a faire Pine Tree, we marked it for or Lyne, & set the Surveiors marke O on the south side of the Tree, & Likewise O the surveiours marke on the North side of the said Pine Tree: And from thence turning the Line directly North, from the said Pine Tree about Ten Rods further north, we marked another Pine Tree O and O. South & North, wch stood in the line; about Thirty or forty Rods further North we marked a Third Tree with O & O, wr [whither] we presently Came to Cross the Bay Path, or Road that Leads toward the Bay: and by the Bay Path a little from it stood Two Pines Trees in or Lyne, One on the South side of ye Path, & the other on the North Side of the Path, which we marked O & O South and North, & set S P (for Springfield on the west side & South side of that Tree wch stands next the Path, So passing on in or Lyne North a little further towards a Brooke on the Top of the Hili(going down Into the bottoms & towards the brooke) a smal white oak stands in the line marked O. O. South & North: over the brooke North going up the Hil a Pine O. O. & Two or three Pine Trees more in the line being marked, & going on is a Prette Big white Oake in the line marked O. O. South & North, and another white Oake marked on the East side O."--and so proceeding 25 more trees were marked which brought them to the Chicopee River.--"And so we returned back to the Bay Path, & to the first Pine Tree upon the knap or Hil by Stoney Brooke side where we first began In the Morning: & then going South over Stony Brooke (being over the first branch of it wch turnes of Eastward) Up the Hil from ye Brooke, on the Top of the Hill a Pine Tree in the Lyne we marked O. O. North & South: & also set S. P. on it; stil going on in the lyne South."
"upon the Ridge a Smal Pine Tree in the Lyne is marked O. on the North, & O. on the South side: going on stil South, upon the Ridge in the Line is another Pine Tree O. O. further on South is another Pine Tree marked O. O. Again a Pine O. O. Then Coming to a Pool Hollow or Shore full of smal Poplar Trees, the line passing through it, on the South side of it is a Pine Tree marked O. O. North & South: further on South in the line going up the Hill, a Pine is marked O. O. North & south, where It being neer night, we Left of for this Day, & Returned home: from Chickuppy River to this Place we measured it by the Lyne we Carryed, & it is ful Three Miles South from Chickuppy River on the North: and something better, The Three Miles being out, before we marked the Last Tree, when Night Came on."
Committee of Springfield, Present:
Jno Pynchon Esq.
Samll Marshfeild. [Marshfield]
Small Terrey Senr.
November: 2: 1685:
The "knap or rising Ground" where the Commissioners marked the first tree from which to start the line directly north, is about 50 or 60 rods south of the house of Mr. Edwin E. Dickinson, Silver St., Monson.
John Pynchon Esq., Chairman of the above commission, was competent to identify the Bay Path, having traveled the way frequently during the fifty years, from the time, as a boy, he followed the Indian Path to Agawam.
The Bay Path identified at No. 4.
Hampshire, S.S. April the 22, 1735.
"Surveyed Run Renewed and Preambulated the Line between the Town of Springfield and the Town of Brimfield beginning at a Heap of Stones by a Dead Pine tree old marked Standing a Little Northward of the Bay Path or (more commonly called) the Old Rhoad to which Heap of Stones we added and thence run North by the Needle of the Surveying Instremt Unto Chiccupee in Which line we Raised and Renewed Sundry Old Marks and made and Erected many New ones Spotted the trees with an Axe and in the Spot Setting the Mark in the Margin -O-) with the Marking Iron vizt: from the sd Heap of Stones we first marked a Little White Oak by a Pine Stump then next the bottom of the Hill we marked a Pine Staddle and Laid Stones upon a Rock and Just over the Brook we Marked an ask Straddle then Next a Pine tree Standing on the South Side of the Country Rhoad and Laid a Heap of Stones on a flat Rock in the Rhoad and marked a Small White Oak Staddle with Letters then the Next is a white oak tree Old Marked & Renewed the Next a Great Chestnut tree and Stones by it then a Pine Stump and Stones by it then to a Poplar then to a white oak tree then to a black oak tree Old Marked and Renewed and Stones Laid by it then to a Little white oak then over a Run of water to a white oak then to a Red oak Staddle then to a Small Pine a Little Westward of a Swamp and Small Pine meadow then to a Red Oak Staddle (111-416) Then to a Tall Pine then three Small Chestnuts marked Successively then to a Tall Pine Going down the Hill then to a Monument of Stones Just over a Squechy Place then a Heap of Stones by a Narrow Swamp then to a Pine tree then to Pine Staddles then to a White oak Staddle going down the Hill then to a Monument of Stones on the Rocky Ledge Point of the Hill then Pine Staddle then to a Red Oak Staddle then to a Monument on a Flat Rock then to a white Oak over the Run then to a Staddle then to a Pine tree with Letters on Each Side near the River And Last to a Little Heap of Stones on the bank about 4 foot West of A Great Rock in the Brink of the River, From thence we Returned to where we began and Run South by the Needle Raising Sundry Old Marks-Monuments of Stones and Old Marked Trees to Which we added and Renewed and between the old marks we made and Erected many new ones most of the trees marked as above said viz: from the First mention'd boundary we found an old Pine Stump old marked and we Renewed it then we marked a Great White Oak tree then a Small Pine then a Tall Pine on the Brow of the Hill Going down to a small brook Called Castallion Brook then next a Heap of Stones on a Rock and as a heap of Stones then over a Pine Hill we marked Several Pine trees then over Twelve Mile brook and then over a Little Plain to a white oak Old Marked and Renewed being on the South Side of a Narrow Popular Swamp then to another White oak there up (111-417.) a Hill to a Monument of Stones on a Rock Near the North End of the Hill."
Stewart Southgate.---- Surveyor,
Appointed by the Selectmen.
The perambulation was continued and finished May 7, 1735.
The line here described as being between Springfield and Brimfield in 1735 is the same as it is now between the towns of Wilbraham and Monson.
Mark Ferry's 5th Division
"Thirty acres on both sides of the old road, and both sides of the brook that runs out of Daniel Graves' meadow."
"Begin in Springfield line a little north of the old path: thence, east 56 rods: thence, S. 6o E. 80 rods; thence, west at right angles 64 rods to Springfield line 3 rods south of the brook; thence, straight in Springfield line to the place of beginning."
(Mark Ferry took his land in other places & this lot became common & was taken up by others.)
The location of the Old Bay Path is proven, and identified, and consequently the route of the Indian path which preceded it. The point is on Silver St., and crosses the north part of Mr. E. E. Dickinson's farm.
BACK NEXT INDEX